This file just won't go away....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
Hi!

I am running a nearly 3 year old MBA 11"er with version 10.9.5 Mavericks. I was on the forums here about a week ago with some questions about TM backup files, etc; received some expert help and all was well.

Except for one minor thing.

I moved off massive amounts of files from my HD (about 20 GB worth) to give me some room to breathe, and there is one single file, named .DS_Store that popped up on the background after I moved all these files and rebooted a few times.

I have dragged it to the trash, but in seconds it just pops right back up onto the background.

GET INFO shows this file as: Size: 15,364 bytes (16KB on disk).
Where: /users/myname/.Trash (There IS a dot in front of Trash.
Created Nov 8, 2014 (the day I did all my moving of files)

It is not locked, it is not anything too large to present a problem, I'd just like to know what type of file it is and if it is a much needed file, where does it belong and can/should I move it there?

As always, I thank you in advance. :)

Cheers!

Pat

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
MacInWin:

When using Finder, I noticed that I was now seeing hidden files everywhere, something I'd never seen before. When I used Onyx, I must have switched See Hidden Files without realizing it. Using Onyx again, I could that I had done that, turned it off and the little DS_Store file is not not visible!

Thanks for the reply. Sorry it's been so long.... this darned work thing just gets in the way.

Cheers!

Pat

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For someone who's flying a Black Bird, you should know better than to mess with stuff that can make you crash and burn. ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.