This fell off my mac mini; is it important?

Reaction score
Hello,

I was replacing a hard drive in my mac mini (A1347) this morning, had some trouble removing the fan cable from its socket on the main board; didn't think it was a problem until this little guy fell out and said hello:

h5Czy7T.png

He's kinda cute, right? I've named him "Squarez" ... I can't see something that small being important, until I found this:

3EkPR8v.jpg

I quickly realized the problem; a misnomer; "Demon Child" is more appropriate as I suspect my problems are just getting started.

I'm not sure what to do, so I've itemized my options:

1) pretend it didn't happen.
2) use Scotch Tape
3) use Krazy Glue (probably more effective)
4) get repaired at local service center
5) send to Apple (ugh)
6) sell on ebay; blame postal service for breakage (this is cruel, but effective)
8) collect more Demon Children, create rhinestone/hipster t-shirt, sell on Etsy

Seriously, is this repairable with a soldering gun? I don't plan on doing it myself, but what could repairs cost? ($$)

UPDATE
Did a quick power test, heard the chime, but fan was running fast and loud; quickly turned off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Apparantly not as the thread is blank!

Reaction score
The grammar nazis deleted it because Harry misspelled apparently. :p
j/k

OP
R
Reaction score
The grammar nazis deleted it because Harry misspelled apparently. :p
j/k

Can I delete the original post? This was a total waste of time; I can understand if a mod chose to put the post on hold or delete, but not notifying the author or providing reason as to why is beyond frustrating.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure what happened with this thread. Our apologies to the OP if the thread was sent into Limbo for a spell. Apparently our resident exorcist was not available at the time to cast out the demons that had entered it. They have now been cast out and the thread has once more appeared.

Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any demon activity which occurs in these forums.

;P;P;P

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I apologize - I'm not sure why your post keeps going into moderation. I'll keep an eye on it to ensure that it stays live.

Reaction score
you could try to solder it yourself but with such a small connection your kinda screwed

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
At one time I could solder that with a VERY fine point Weller iron but even with Magnifiers I probably could not today due to not seeing small things that well!

I am sure someone could solder that though. It's a resistor from the looks of it. Since it right at the Fan connector that is probably why the fan is out of control.

I doubt Apple would fix something like that but want to replace the whole board.

I have many times fixed systems with one resistor that size that came off.

How I USED to do it was careful melt some solder on each pad without getting it to hot and destroying the pad, then lay the resistor on top and on each end heat it and push it down and take off the heat till it got solid.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It does appear that with a very small soldering iron...a very steady hand...and a lot of care to not let heat buildup (damaging surrounding components)...it may be possible to fix this. Otherwise...a replacement logic board may be required.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It does appear that with a very small soldering iron...a very steady hand...and a lot of care to not let heat buildup (damaging surrounding components)...it may be possible to fix this. Otherwise...a replacement logic board may be required.

- Nick

Agree Nick. Thus my post. The method I used when I could see better always worked with those small resistors for me.

If it meant a new board, I would get out my 20x magnifier and suspend it above the board and give it a try even today! Better than a new board! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is cool. Thanks for that Nick!

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened with this thread. Our apologies to the OP if the thread was sent into Limbo for a spell. Apparently our resident exorcist was not available at the time to cast out the demons that had entered it. They have now been cast out and the thread has once more appeared.

Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any demon activity which occurs in these forums.

;P;P;P

Thank you, looks ok now!

OP
R
Reaction score

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh, the Krazy Glue option, now THIS looks promising!

Ha ha...yes...sort of a "Krazy Glue" option!:)lol

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was hoping you would post a picture of the part laying on the board by where it connects so I could see the relative size compared to the other parts there.

The smaller the part the harder it is to solder back at least for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
That is a surface mount resistor. I usually get a volunteer to hold them in place with a toothpick while I solder them back in. Otherwise they tend to stick to the soldering tip. Obviously important though since the fan runs high now. Definitely a young person job with a steady hand and good eyes!

OP
R
Reaction score
I was hoping you would post a picture of the part laying on the board by where it connects so I could see the relative size compared to the other parts there.

The smaller the part the harder it is to solder back at least for me.

It's definitely the right size,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.