This computere local host name ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have a late 2009 iMac 21 1/2 running High Sierra, unfortunately as far as I can go with the OS. We have occasionally been getting the message below and I have no idea what it is or what is causing it?

If anyone can enlighten me i would be very grateful, especially if it's caused by a problem.

Stay safe.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.39.26.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Not caused by a problem, or at least nothing complex. What other computers are in your network, and how is this particular one connected to the network?

In addition to having a unique IP number, most devices have a "name" that is shown to the network. As the message said, it's set in System Preferences/Sharing and can be almost anything you want. But each device has to have a different name, or the sharing can get mucked up.

So, if you have a second machine and if its name is the same as the one with the message, that's the cause. Just change one of them to something else and it will go away. Or you can just ignore it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So, if you have a second machine and if it's name is the same as the one with the message, that's the cause. Just change one of them to something else and it will go away. Or you can just ignore it.

As Jake stated, just edit it and change the name to something appropriate, if you like... :Smirk:

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you gents.

Both machines are ethernet connected

I have checked both of our Macs, MacBook Pro and iMac and they do have different names. Very imaginative too, John's MacBook Pro and JohnandFrances iMac.

But if it isn't a problem then we will just ditch it as/if it appears again.

Thank you again for your help.

Something that I hadn't thought of is that we have a couple of the mains carrier type ethernet extenders and one of them sometimes shows a red light, not transmitting the ethernet. I usually switch the wifi on on the iMac and sometimes I have forgotten to switch the wifi off again when the ethernet is back running properly again. I don't think it causes any problems with both being on, but ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That could be it. If the computer is in the network over WiFi and the Ethernet connects, the name will be repeated. And it will start with "name" then "name-2" and "name-3" so from your post, it's happened at least four times. However, I run with both WiFi and Ethernet connected because Ethernet is faster, but WiFi is needed for my  Watch to unlock the Mac. I don't see the issue here in my system, but when I look at my router for attached devices, while the names are the same, one is identified as "Mac" and the other as "MacBook Pro," so maybe that's enough to not get them confused. The "Name" is MBP15 for both connections. I don't know if any of that helps or not.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it does and thank you Jake. I will have to be more careful in future about just having one on.

Stay safe!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes it does and thank you Jake. I will have to be more careful in future about just having one on.

You do not need to worry about doing that, as long as any connected Network Device has a unique name, and that is all the notice was saying that it changed the name to make things easy for you, And you can change it again to anything unique that you like or that makes sense. Maybe even "John's iPad In his workshop", or whatever suits you.

BTW: How is your woodworking and Woodturning going these days, and your flying etc...???

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.