Thinking Of Getting Into Digital Photography

Reaction score
Yes you're right V.I. Canon are known for having better high ISO. I'm not completely convinced that it's a major issue. Perhaps for the OP it might be enough of a difference for them to choose one brand over another. At least we've all given our thoughts and now they can decide.

In general I think people can get carried away with the tech/gear side of photography and lose sight of the important thing which is user skills. Sitting opposite me is a guy who could take a fully manual 20yr camera with cheapo film and shoot pictures that I couldn't manage with the 1ds mkII. I'm willing to bet he could also take one of the Nikons we've got lying around, dial up the ISO, shoot the pants off it and not have noise. I've been around photography a bit and still help out pro photog mates (real pros not dpreview/flickr pros) with assignments. I've pretty much used and setup almost every camera mentioned in this thread. Something I learnt is there are numerous things to take into account when considering performance at higher iso.

I shoot Canon so I don't have a Nikon bias and couldn't care less. I still think the OP should take themselves into a store and take a hands on look at the dslr's on offer, hire one if they can, shoot with it, compare it, then buy on personal preference.

edit: Now everyone in the studio is sitting around my desk discussing digital image quality at higher iso. This could go on forever...beats working.;D

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Wow. Get your mac in the shop for a night and look at all the replies! Thanks a TON guys!

The Nikon D40 looks quite nice, and not too pricey either. Although its a shame it wont work with my older lenses. There are a ton of helpful posts in here, and I'm in the process of printing them out to read them more closely.

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep ya updated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Yes you're right V.I. Canon are known for having better high ISO. I'm not completely convinced that it's a major issue. Perhaps for the OP it might be enough of a difference for them to choose one brand over another. At least we've all given our thoughts and now they can decide.

In general I think people can get carried away with the tech/gear side of photography and lose sight of the important thing which is user skills. Sitting opposite me is a guy who could take a fully manual 20yr camera with cheapo film and shoot pictures that I couldn't manage with the 1ds mkII. I'm willing to bet he could also take one of the Nikons we've got lying around, dial up the ISO, shoot the pants off it and not have noise. I've been around photography a bit and still help out pro photog mates (real pros not dpreview/flickr pros) with assignments. I've pretty much used and setup almost every camera mentioned in this thread. Something I learnt is there are numerous things to take into account when considering performance at higher iso.

I shoot Canon so I don't have a Nikon bias and couldn't care less. I still think the OP should take themselves into a store and take a hands on look at the dslr's on offer, hire one if they can, shoot with it, compare it, then buy on personal preference.

edit: Now everyone in the studio is sitting around my desk discussing digital image quality at higher iso. This could go on forever...beats working.;D

It can be important to a noob in the long run. The first thing you have to ask is: What do you want to do with photography. If some one wants to do concert photography and that's their goal, I'd recommend they save their money and not buy an entry level camera. If they were looking at an XTI, I'd steer them towards a used 20d or a new 30d depending on their budget. If it's some one that wants something dirt cheap and is only planning on using it as a P&S, I'd reluctantly steer them towards the D40 or the Olympus entry camera. I'm still not sold on the whole non AF lens thing and 2.0 crop sensors...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Wow. Get your mac in the shop for a night and look at all the replies! Thanks a TON guys!

The Nikon D40 looks quite nice, and not too pricey either. Although its a shame it wont work with my older lenses. There are a ton of helpful posts in here, and I'm in the process of printing them out to read them more closely.

Look for a used or refurbed D50. It's what the D40 downgraded from. The D50 can use the older lenses and is a better camera in most people's opinions. Used and refurbed DSLRs are usually in good condition. There's not too many people that will drop $500+ on a camera just to treat it like crap.

Reaction score

Cool. Come back and show off your new camera when you get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.