• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Thinking about getting FinalCut Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
....So what ever I may someday be required to switch to, it has to be able to handle the load. Add to that the work done in After Effects and Photoshop that integrates so well with Premiere Pro....hard to move away from...

FCP X can handle any load you need, in fact the recent Will Smith movie "Focus" was edited on FCP X. In this interview assistant editor Mike Matzdorff discusses it (and his difficult transition to FCP X):

Mike Matzdorff on the organisation behind editing a major Hollywood feature on FCPX

While FCP X has Motion and that can do some cool things, it's not remotely a replacement for After Effects. But for us Motion is sufficient.

When we changed from CS6 to FCP X we were Windows based so it was a hardware and software change. You are already Mac-based so it's just software. That said FCP X is a huge transition. CS6 is a good product -- fast, straightforward to use, etc. There is no immediate need to change. But eventually you'll either need to pay for Adobe cc or switch to another product.

For documentary-style work with a high shooting ratio, FCP X has the big advantage of integrated media management. On CS6 we tried CatDV but weren't satisfied with it, so just used spreadsheets to log, tag and query our material. With FCP X that capability is built in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
For documentary-style work with a high shooting ratio, FCP X has the big advantage of integrated media management. On CS6 we tried CatDV but weren't satisfied with it, so just used spreadsheets to log, tag and query our material. With FCP X that capability is built in.

I agree for now I will stay with CS6. Until I can purchase a Mac Pro, I won't start with FCP.

I totally get the media management issue. The 5+ hour project had almost 100 hand held clips of various subject material. I had to watch each one and catalog it. Took me a while. ;P

My boss decided I need to enjoy the conference so she gave the shoot portion to our kids pastor. He recruited three guys to run the stationary cameras and he did the hand held. None of them had ever been trained to run a camera. Needless to say when I found out I had to argue to get them to take the communication headsets and exterior audio mics. I was actually at the conference when I was told I was editing the material because the kids pastor who was running the shoot was going on vacation. I had assumed I would be anyway because he has never sync'd multiple cameras.

I know they did this as a "nice" surprise so I could "enjoy" the conference. I never told them that is not how it worked out. I am well aware they don't know what I do in my job or the training I have put my video crew through. People think anyone can run a camera - not really. Also shoot planning entails more than setting up the tripod and plopping the camera on it.

So what I ended up with was less than desirable, but I keep telling myself most people don't realize what is good or bad shots for the most part and are happy if the content is there in some form. :(

A better way to catalog clips would be very welcome. I have a method I have come up with but I know there is a better way.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.