• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Things That Drive Us Mac Forumers Crazy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
How about this addition to the list (or a repeat):
..people who start in the middle of their paragraph and assume you can read their minds and know what the **** they're talking about
For example: "I've got problem "A".
OK, well, with what software? etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Most of mine are related to the sales section... of just about any hobby forum (not just Mac-Forums)

rant
-"Feeler" threads with no price or location at all listed, but qualified with "no lowball offers". Just be an adult at tell is what you want for it.
-People asking crazy prices for older stuff because they "upgraded" it with stuff that is now also dated ie: White Macbook Core Duo with 7200rpm 160GB HDD & 4GB RAM and new battery, asking $900.
-People selling something in a "package" that jacks up the price to where it isn't worth looking at to get the main item you want ie: iPad with a bunch of cheesy neon colored sleeves, leather covers, 2 power cords and stands = $1000+.
-People describing things as "mint" or "like new" and then going on to state they used it for a year with no issues and kept a cover or whatever on it the WHOLE time. If you used it for a year, by definition it's NOT mint and it's probably not what it was like when it was "new" in stores. That's called used but excellent condition.

/rant

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Most of mine are related to the sales section... of just about any hobby forum (not just Mac-Forums)

rant
-"Feeler" threads with no price or location at all listed, but qualified with "no lowball offers". Just be an adult at tell is what you want for it.
-People asking crazy prices for older stuff because they "upgraded" it with stuff that is now also dated ie: White Macbook Core Duo with 7200rpm 160GB HDD & 4GB RAM and new battery, asking $900.
-People selling something in a "package" that jacks up the price to where it isn't worth looking at to get the main item you want ie: iPad with a bunch of cheesy neon colored sleeves, leather covers, 2 power cords and stands = $1000+.
-People describing things as "mint" or "like new" and then going on to state they used it for a year with no issues and kept a cover or whatever on it the WHOLE time. If you used it for a year, by definition it's NOT mint and it's probably not what it was like when it was "new" in stores. That's called used but excellent condition.

/rant

Or how about not posting pictures and instead leaving a vague description of the item. There's nothing like buying a high ticket price item from a stranger, hundreds or thousands of miles away, sight unseen, without a shred of protection for the buyer (and yet people do it all the time).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

Being in mint condition has no correlation to age, or usage time. It is usually a term used to define the visual appearance. The older the item is, the more a term like "mint condition" can aid it in appraisal. If someone says it's in mint condition, but it has scratches, that their claim is crap. If something is old, and you have a hard time distinguishing it's been used, then the mint claim is VERY valid. Mint has nothing to due with how much use something has received. It's mostly used for coin appraisals, but loosely used other places too. Generally speaking, a mint condition item should have no imperfections from use.

"Like new," is a useless statement due to it not having a truly defined definition, and is almost ALWAYS defined by the subjective views of the person selling. With that said, it's one of the best lines to use to make more money for your item. You just have to be smart about what you buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2010 2.4GHz 2GB 10.8.1 iPhone 3GS
Being in mint condition has no correlation to age, or usage time. It is usually a term used to define the visual appearance. The older the item is, the more a term like "mint condition" can aid it in appraisal. If someone says it's in mint condition, but it has scratches, that their claim is crap. If something is old, and you have a hard time distinguishing it's been used, then the mint claim is VERY valid. Mint has nothing to due with how much use something has received. It's mostly used for coin appraisals, but loosely used other places too. Generally speaking, a mint condition item should have no imperfections from use.

"Like new," is a useless statement due to it not having a truly defined definition, and is almost ALWAYS defined by the subjective views of the person selling. With that said, it's one of the best lines to use to make more money for your item. You just have to be smart about what you buy.

I agree that "mint condition" implies no imperfections from use. But this does not only mean no visual imperfections. No internal wear as a result of use is also implied (e.g. no battery deterioration, no hard drive wear or bad sectors, etc.).

In my opinion, it is very difficult to preserve an item in mint condition by using it often over a long period of time. Maintenance and/or repair would probably be needed, but could be offered as a selling feature, e.g. "this item has been recently restored to mint condition by replacing the battery."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1

To each their own. To me, "mint" is saying that an item is in the state it was in when it was "minted" so to speak. It's visual appearance sure, but also the history and state of use of an item in addition to it's visual appearance. I'd hesitate to describe a computer as mint if it has had user data on it's drive, nor a pistol as mint if it's fired 50 rounds but looks unfired. Anyhow, an item that's not really collectible but still in the original box but completely unused might be mint to me if it was only opened to be photographed I suppose. Sealed PM's are mint to me, though opened to air PM's that are clean and untarnished but have been handled are not. Refurbished isn't mint to me either. Really, no used item is mint to me, but can be in used excellent condition which is perfectly fine in most cases. I'd pay more for a "mint" unused collectible item than a "used excellent" collectible item in some categories. An OD Green G26 that's mint will grab $700+ sometimes on BrokeGunner, but an excellent used OD Green G26 that's fired only 50 rounds is just a used green Glock to me and worth $475 tops (if it has tritium). Hence, it "drives me crazy" as the topic seeks elaboration upon. Everyone is different though and this one is probably a personal neurosis of my own. It's followed closely by "mint, except for a small scratch on it...". Ugh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5 iMac
Wow, from a noob, not feeling very welcome! Sorry, we can't all be experts on day one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Wow, from a noob, not feeling very welcome! Sorry, we can't all be experts on day one!

Don't pay any attention to it. No one expects you to be. Seriously.

Reaction score

Just ask a few questions and see for yourself... this is just one thread.
On that note... Welcome to the forum :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

FYI…this is a "What drives Mac-Formers Crazy!" thread. There are different things that different users are driven "crazy" by…whether that user is a novice (noob) or an expert.

Maybe a "noob" is driven crazy by expert users not being patient. And maybe an "expert" user is driven crazy by "noobs" (which really doesn't happen that often around here)!:)

So there are at least two sides to view things from.;) But again…this is a "Things That Drive Us Mac-Formers Crazy!" thread…so everyone gets to express their "pet-peeves".:) Sort of a place to "blow off some steam"!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Mine is posters not giving enough info other than ______ is not working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Mine is posters not giving enough info other than ______ is not working.

Post #121
How about this addition to the list (or a repeat):
..people who start in the middle of their paragraph and assume you can read their minds and know what the **** they're talking about
For example: "I've got problem "A".
OK, well, with what software? etc.

Reaction score
People quoting previous posts, just because someone rephrases exactly what they said, only better....

SM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
People who say Maverick not Mavericks.
You would not say Window.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
omg, you wouldn't believe how many thread titles have been corrected due to mis-spelling of the name of the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.