• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Value of Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
So, $129 is a lot of money to pay for software (for me), i know all the things that Tiger has, the value, comparisson to that "other" OS and everything, but i'm afraid of 2 things.
First, when is OSX 10.5 comming out? If you say next yer, well, im planning on getting a new Mac next year, so i expect to jump from Panther to whatever the new cat will be called. I don't want to spend in Tiger if it only has less than one year of life left.
Second, what is going to happen with my iBook's performance? Is been only a year since i have been using Apple and (too) many years with Windows. Everytime i had upgraded Windows i have been forced to upgrade or change hardware, even when jumping from a so called SevicePack to another. How do this upgrades work with Macs? I have read it improves performace, but how much?
Any help, commentaries or rants would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I do not know when 10.5 is coming out and considering that Apple hasn't even announced it (the probably will in June) you still have at least a year for Tiger still to be the newest and greatest. When you upgrade the OS on a Mac you don't have to upgrade the hardware, except maybe the memory if you have a rather old system. For the performance increase, lets just say that I have a 3 year old PowerBook (TiBook running at 1GHz) and it performs better with Tiger than I could ever expect it to with its original OS and I plan on keeping this laptop for a while longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard"
Main article: Mac OS X v10.5
Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard" was announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference on June 6, 2005. It is generally expected to be released at the end of 2006 or early 2007, roughly around the same time Microsoft would release Windows Vista (formerly known by the code-name "Longhorn"). Apple has said it will support both PowerPC- and Intel x86-based Macintosh computers. No information on what features Leopard will add to the Mac OS have been announced, although features available to developers in Tiger suggest that its GUI will be fully resolution independent, paving the way for much higher-resolution displays. Some rumor sites have claimed that it might include a whole new Finder (code-named "Chardonnay"), heavily based on Spotlight requests.

Source Wikipedia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I didn't get Tiger until I got my new PowerBook last month. There really is no need to upgrade that I can see. Sure, it is nice, but by no means a necessity.
If you are planning on getting a new Mac soon anyway, then I would wait if I were you.
It seems that what you have is working fine for you, so again, there really isn't a major, burning need to update the OS>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Jabjabs said:
Source Wikipedia
Leopard wasn't officially announced yet. Steve just mentioned that Leopard will just be the name of the next version. But if you can prove me wrong with a source OTHER than Wikipedia I will admit my mistake.

B

Badger

mraya said:
So, $129 is a lot of money to pay for software (for me), i know all the things that Tiger has, the value, comparisson to that "other" OS and everything, but i'm afraid of 2 things.
First, when is OSX 10.5 comming out? If you say next yer, well, im planning on getting a new Mac next year, so i expect to jump from Panther to whatever the new cat will be called. I don't want to spend in Tiger if it only has less than one year of life left.
Second, what is going to happen with my iBook's performance? Is been only a year since i have been using Apple and (too) many years with Windows. Everytime i had upgraded Windows i have been forced to upgrade or change hardware, even when jumping from a so called SevicePack to another. How do this upgrades work with Macs? I have read it improves performace, but how much?
Any help, commentaries or rants would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you are happy with Panther stay with it. Speaking from personal experience Tiger doesn't add anything essential and it takes a bigger chunk of memory. Most of the new features are eye candy and the performance increase is only incremental in most areas. Since you are planning to buy a new mac reasonably soon stay with Panther until then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Benjamindaines said:
Leopard wasn't officially announced yet. Steve just mentioned that Leopard will just be the name of the next version. But if you can prove me wrong with a source OTHER than Wikipedia I will admit my mistake.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc05/

Go to 18:50.

"We intend to release Leopard at the end of 2006, early 2007, right around the time Windows is expected to release Longhorn."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Discerptor said:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc05/

Go to 18:50.

"We intend to release Leopard at th end of 2006, early 2007, right around the time Windows is expected to release Longhorn."
Right, he is talking about Tiger and simply mentions that the next version will be called Leopard and released around when Longhorn (Vista) will be released. This year at the 2006 WWDC Leopard will be officially announced and start going to the Developers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Benjamindaines said:
Right, he is talking about Tiger and simply mentions that the next version will be called Leopard and released around when Longhorn (Vista) will be released. This year at the 2006 WWDC Leopard will be officially announced and start going to the Developers.
I'm pretty sure announcing the exitence of the OS and a release date to go with it counts as announcing it. Whether it's been provided to developers is a different story altogether.

Reaction score
I'm newish to macs myself (I have a powerbook which came with tiger). Firstly, have you been updating your current OS? You are running Panther (10.3) right? But do you have the final version of it (10.3.9)? If not you should see a performance increase by upgrading (the upgrades are free, you only have to pay to upgrade to a major version, ie. to 10.4 in your case).

I think I've read that 10.3.9 is very good because it's 'mature' if you get my meaning, so unless there is some killer feature(s) in Tiger that are important to you then I wouldn't upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
OS X 10.5.x will be named "Leopard".

Now, you're currently on Panther. I noticed that almost right after Tiger was released, Panther dropped in price significantly.

I predict the same will happen with Leopard's release.

If you plan on buying a new Mac within a year, wait for Leopard. Dashboard, Spotlight, etc. are great, but not worth the upgrade.

If you do plan on keeping the iBook you currently own, then I suggest you upgrade to Tiger after Leopard is released.

J

JSchultz

I just did a downgrade (cos I had to!) from Tiger to Puma, and I don't miss my widgets one bit, but believe it or not, I do miss spotlight very much, and I don't think Sherlock can even come close. Spotlight is one of those things you 'don't know what you got 'til it's gone'...

S

SamG

For what it's worth, I run a three year old 17" Powerbook on 10.3.9 and my year old G5 iMac on 10.4.4. For *my* daily usage, I find very little difference between the two.

I did upgrade the Powerbook from 10.2 to 10.3 when I wanted to use AirTunes but have not yet found a compelling reason to upgrade to 10.4.

Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Mini with LG Flatron 20" widescreen LCD
I have just downgraded from tiger back to 10.3.9 and dont miss any of the new features that tiger gave, not yet anyway as i did not really use spotlight at all and never used the widgets.
One problem i have is that all my email that i got when running in tiger cant be read by 10.3.9's mail app. Does anyone know how to resolve this, as i have tried importing from the backup that i made but it dont work.
Oh and my Mac does not sound as loud as it did with the fans going alot of the time in tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Sorry, but "Leopard" hits me about the same as "MacBook Pro". I like saying I'm running "Tiger" :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
jsb515 said:
how much ram is recommended for tiger?

512 mb for it to "run smoothely".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.