• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

The Rumors Were Right! New Ipod!

OP
M

monsterfilmer

How much, and will it work for my PC?( Ihave IEEE-1394)

I've been wanting an ipod because the alternatives are gay. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
OP
M

monsterfilmer

I have some questions and I'm too lazy to look up the answers for myself(plus i know you guys just love to speak macinese)

Can you record on an ipod from a direct analog line-in?
If so, does it have phantom power?

What types of files can it hold, can it store video?
If so, can it replay from inside the machine? Does the analog 1/8 plug also work and a low freq. vid line? Or can it play directly through a firewire? If so, what formats does it not support?

Is there a file size limit?(an ac3 track can be upwards of 3 gigs)

Do you have to install a certain program(aside from a driver) or can I operate it from within windows media player(remember, i'm a pc user)

Does it support ac3, atrac and ogg vorbis?

What kind of memory system does it use?(flash, disks)

What kind of damage can it take? And does the back of it dent easily?

I await your knowledgable replies. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
First, I don't own an iPod (yet...), so I can only answer some of your questions...
There's no direct line in on the iPod, but it might be possible to record via some adapter for the dock connector. But I'm pretty sure that it doesn't provide phantom power. That's 48V and only used for symetric microphones.

As the iPod can be used like an external harddisk (at least on a Mac) it can store any type of files, including video. But it cannot playback video, not through the analog 1/8 plug (which is audio only) and not through Firewire/USB. It can only playback audio.

I don't think that the file size has any limit, except the storage capacity. But I'm not sure if it will playback a single 3GB audio file.

I don't know if it works with Windows Media Player, but you can use iTunes for Windows. It's free, and I think it's even included with the iPod (but I'm not sure about that).

It supports following audio formats: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 (32 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible, AIFF, Apple Lossless and WAV. Firmware is upgradable, so this might change in the future...

It uses a harddisk for storage, 4GB on the iPod mini and 20GB/40GB on the iPod. Some older generations have 5GB, 10GB or 15GB harddisks.

As I said, I don't own one, so I can't tell how much damage it can take. But I heard they're quite robust.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.