The oldest Time Machine backup accidentally deleted: possible to retrieve files?

Reaction score
Hi,

Time Machine deleted my oldest backup from the external hard drive when backing up after the disk got full. It happened unexpected, because TM still showed about 20GB free space after what it would require for the backup, but after checking it again external hard drive had 250GB available space and the oldest backup deleted. Most of the files in the oldest backup are erased from my Mac HD and not in the latest backups. I tried a number of softwares, but little help. Is there any possibility to retrieve automatically deleted backup (which includes documents, photos etc) from the Time Machine? It would be helpful to know if there is an effective way to do so? Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

If those files that were in the backup that Time Machine erased were likewise erased by you, then you can only try to recover them from your hard drive. Recovery software may work. "Disk Drill" is good at finding erased files provided they have not been overwritten. Erased files get overwritten when the drive is still in use; reading and writing to it.

Time Machine backups that were erased by Time Machine can not be recovered by normal means. Only a recovery service can possibly get them back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And if the backup was deleted to make room for another backup, the TM backup area was most likely used for the new backup, obliterating whatever was there.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think it would not be straying off topic, if we offered one or two words of general advice to the OP?

The External Hard Drive (EHD) for Time Machine should ideally be 1.5 to 2 times the storage capacity of your Mac. This will ensure that it doesn't fill up too quickly.

TM's principal use is to recover a file or other data which was accidentally deleted (of course it has other uses too). In the OP's case, it seems that the deleted data that was being sought was in the oldest Backup (BU) implying that it had been generated a considerable time ago.

TM should not be seen as a way to store data. Crucial data can be stored in several ways, but TM is not one of them.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
TM should not be seen as a way to store data. Crucial data can be stored in several ways, but TM is not one of them.
It seems that some users forget what "backup" actually means. One copy of any data is asking for trouble.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Time Machine should never be regarded as long term storage of data deliberately deleted from your internal HD.

If you are running short of storage on your primary device but have files you must keep like tax records, manuscripts, media files, etc then a good quality EHD is the best option.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine should never be regarded as long term storage of data deliberately deleted from your internal HD.

I fully agree. However, I continually run into users in our forums and other forums who insist on keeping Time Machine backups for years on end. And then panic when the drive that contains their 1 or 2 year old backups fails.

I'm kind of a pack rat when it comes to keeping old computer and electronic parts around, so I guess in some ways I'm just as guilty.

Anybody need a copy of MS-DOS 3.1 and the MS manual? :goofy

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I too have a lot of obsolete stuff hanging around on the off chance that some day it may be handy, like a retail version of Snow Leopard on DVD that I came across the other day. If anyone wants it I guess I could mail it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
Welcome to our forums.

If those files that were in the backup that Time Machine erased were likewise erased by you, then you can only try to recover them from your hard drive. Recovery software may work. "Disk Drill" is good at finding erased files provided they have not been overwritten. Erased files get overwritten when the drive is still in use; reading and writing to it.

Time Machine backups that were erased by Time Machine can not be recovered by normal means. Only a recovery service can possibly get them back.

I assuming that links to various app downloaded here are valid and safe..... disk drill!
I sometimes find I have deleted a folder or file and think ive lost it forever. so this would be a good app to have handy.
does it work also on external drives??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Disk Drill is safe to download and it does work on external drives. Download the free version not the Pro version which is payware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
great... will try it out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I assuming that links to various app downloaded here are valid and safe..... disk drill!
I sometimes find I have deleted a folder or file and think ive lost it forever. so this would be a good app to have handy.
does it work also on external drives??
Exactly what Time Machine was designed for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Disk Drill is safe to download and it does work on external drives. Download the free version not the Pro version which is payware.
and I discovered that there is a version for windows... will pass that along to my brother who uses Windows

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does sounds a little like you delete files/folders a bit which you later regret. Not judging or anything, when you process/create a lot of data that can happen. This is ideally what Time Machine does best, in the short term.

I erase my TM backups about a month after a major macOS upgrade and create a new backup. My CCC clone remains continuous until full although the upgrade to Big Sur changed that this year.

If you have two backups you can allow one to overlap the other meaning they never get full but maybe a one year cycle would not be long enough for you.

Given the low price of "spinner" external HD's why not have one just for the files you would normally delete. Of course you will be running the risk of accumulation.

Reaction score
Hi,

Time Machine deleted my oldest backup from the external hard drive when backing up after the disk got full. It happened unexpected, because TM still showed about 20GB free space after what it would require for the backup, but after checking it again external hard drive had 250GB available space and the oldest backup deleted. Most of the files in the oldest backup are erased from my Mac HD and not in the latest backups. I tried a number of softwares, but little help. Is there any possibility to retrieve automatically deleted backup (which includes documents, photos etc) from the Time Machine? It would be helpful to know if there is an effective way to do so? Thank you

Hi, If you erased Time Machine back up the files on your Mac, it's hard to recover files. But may be chance to restore backup from your Mac HD with the help of mac hard drive recovery service like Disk Drill, Stellar Data Recovery, Easeus, etc. Otherwise no ways to get backup files!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.