the new PHOTOS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
I know I have to give it a try, but initially, way less than impressed. Thank goodness, I have my library also in LR. I was expecting much more from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I know I have to give it a try, but initially, way less than impressed. Thank goodness, I have my library also in LR. I was expecting much more from Apple.

Ok. So what's wrong with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Expecting much more ?? There has been a Public Beta out for a while now, and there is so many reviews about it, outlining what exactly it is, and how it is nothing like Aperture, or anywhere near a Pro Image DAM or Editor.
We have known what Photo's is going to be for quite a while, so how is it a shock too you ??

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I would say so far I can find nothing wrong with it, however it is a big departure from iPhoto.
I likened it in another post called "Don't panic" to the iTunes 12 equivalent of iPhoto. Similar interface and appearance. I think it was inevitable that it would get a facelift as it has looked essentially the same for a while and users of iOS devices will find it familiar in many ways. So all towards the greater good but my wife wants to play with mine for a while before she makes the move to 10.10.3 and as for bugs, well there's bound to be some but none that I've found yet.;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have not had any issues with Photo as yet. Its to me an improvement on iPhoto especially in editing. I am already used to it.

Do people really expect a FREE application to out do Photoshop, Lightroom?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I click Photos, set to Moments and my photos are sorted my Location? I like the OPTION of being able to name the Moments for example...
Family Lunch
At the Zoo
Family Over for (where ever)
etc

All I see is most of the Moments Albums in the same location, to me I don't care about this or I would add it into the album name. I hope they give us options to change the album names in the future.

I also miss the way I could collapse the Events in iPhoto which I'm unable to do in Photos.

For me iPhoto was more tidy and could be compact in a way I could scroll through and find events to find photos easier.

I will just have to get used to Photos and deal with what Apple have given me :)

I have yet to install Photoshop on my new iMac but will in time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I click Photos, set to Moments and my photos are sorted my Location? I like the OPTION of being able to name the Moments for example...
Family Lunch
At the Zoo
Family Over for (where ever)
etc

That's what the albums are for. I think the "Moments" name is rather confusing. It's simply all your photos sorted by date. Period. You can choose to "zoom in" on them by plotting them on a map, if there is location metadata in the photos. You can put anything from a date, or random photos from different dates, into an album. Or into multiple albums. Sooo.... select all your photos taken yesterday with your family at lunch and create a new album titled "Family Lunch" and drop them in there.

All I see is most of the Moments Albums in the same location, to me I don't care about this or I would add it into the album name. I hope they give us options to change the album names in the future.

You most certainly can change album names. You really need to sit down and look this over more. Or find a tutorial that explains it better. It's a little confusing at first, especially if you are already used to iPhoto, but I was always confounded by iPhoto and actually think Photos is more sensible in how it works. For example, in iPhotos, I was merging unrelated events into each other when it would have made more sense to just make an album and leave the events alone. And I think this may be where you are confused... Events and Albums are supposed to serve two different purposes, but that really wasn't very clear in iPhoto. Now, Photos keeps a master list of all photos sorted by date taken, and you make albums below to categorize them if you please.

Reaction score
If you ask me it could use some improvements as far as how you want to view the order of photos (such as by date in either ascending/descending - I haven't found this option) as well as a "recently imported" section because I just had to dig through 19k photos to find something I imported just to drop it into an album (the metadata is to blame for this).

Reaction score
I bit the bullet and, with some trepidation after reading forums for months, spent Saturday setting up Photos on my iMac and MacBook. I set Photos to create a new empty library for itself on my MacBook. I made sure I had safe backups of our Aperture library on the iMac, then let Photos build a new library for itself from the Aperture library, then took a big breath and turned on iCloud Photo llibrary on all my devices after purchasing enough iCloud server space. I've been pleasantly surprised. It's taking a long time to upload all our photos, of course, but right away they began appearing on the other three devices (MacBook, iPhone and iPad). Each of the iOS devices uploaded their Camera Roll contents. My Aperture album/project structure is preserved. I can already see the convenience factor. It's huge, much simplifying my previous clutzy workflows using PhotoStream and iTunes. Photos has very limited editing tools, but they are enough for most of the post processing I do these days. I don't need much more and hopefully Apple will add those with time. Meanwhile I've got Aperture if I need more editing. So, so far so good.

Reaction score
iPhotos folders do not appear in Photos

My computer upgraderd to Photos, now my pictures are not there. I can go to the folder and click on them, then they open in iPhoto, but there does not seem to be a connection between iPhoto libraries and Photos..

Why fix something that works well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
My computer upgraderd to Photos, now my pictures are not there. I can go to the folder and click on them, then they open in iPhoto, but there does not seem to be a connection between iPhoto libraries and Photos..

Yes iPhoto works well, but the reason that Photos, and iPhoto is not connected, is
  1. They are 2 completly different Apps
  2. iPhoto is getting trashed by Apple in the next OS X update I believe, so you will have to move to Photos in the end.

Im not sure what you mean by clicking not the folder and they are not there ?? Photos doesn't have a folder.
You need to open Photos, and Import your iPhoto.iphotolibrary and/or your aperture.library.

I have recently imported my iPhoto Library and its 2000+ images, going back to 2009, and its all in the cloud now with a upgrade to the 200GB option.

Reaction score
Well, it has trashed my iPhoto. I do not want to put my pictures in the cloud, so how do I import into Photos? Someone suggested something called Moments, I do not seem to have that.

This smacks of early Windows upgrades.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open Photos, Click up in the Toolbar on Photos and on Preferences. Here are 2 screen shots of my settings. My photos are saved to the library on MY mac and not in the cloud!

Be SURE iCloud Photo Library is UNCHECKED and copy items to Photos library is checked. Works for me and all my iPhoto pics are in Photos. I did nothing to make that happen.

Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 10.22.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 10.23.03 PM.png

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

This sound like your upgrade did not work as it should. I cant understand how you would have both apps. Perhapes you are just talking about the library? My iPhoto app was gone after upgrade and my iPhoto library was imported into Photo. It took some time as I was warned it would. The whole process after download of the combined upgrade took nearly an hour to install in two parts but that may vary dependant on the size of your iTunes library.
IPhoto library should now look like this; iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary
If not something has gone wrong with the upgrade or migration process.

Reaction score
]Hi dtravis,

I tried as you suggested, but no go. My iPhoto library is on an external disk, as my hard drive is tii full, and when I try to import I get the finder window with the two iPhoto libraries in grey, so I cannot access them. I also tried to change the location of the Photos library on the preferences page, but it does not seem possible to change it.

So still using iPhotos, it opens when I go to the finder window and click on the library.

Trying to attach a screenshot:
Screenshot%202015-04-13%2015.59.58.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only difference I can see is my iPhoto library is on my OSX drive and not on an external. Maybe that is where the issue lies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iPhoto app was gone after upgrade and my iPhoto library was imported into Photo.

I would say something went wrong with your update ??

I still have my iPhoto Library on both my MBP and iMac, and it definitely wasn't trashed. I really don't think Apple would trash such a App, without knowing that people have finished with it.
Also, Apple can't say 100% that all users will move to Photos, right now either. This seems very weird.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brent, you are 100% Correct. My update went perfectly and both my iPhoto Library and my iPhoto are still there. Photos made it's own separate library in Users/Pictures under Photos and all my iPhoto library is both there and still in iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought as much Dennis. There would have been a heck of a lot of people upset, IF this was a automatic thing. Some people love iPhoto, so to take it away from them, would be a disaster.

For anyone that reads this and hasn't moved yet, or is scared too, because of the size of the library, then go over and check out Joseph Linashke site, formerly called Aperture Expert, and now called Photos App Expert . . . This guy knows his stuff and will be better than any review or Tutorial from any site like 9to5Mac and the likes.
He recently moved a 112,000 image library to Photos and it went well.

Well worth the look and around the forums too.

I have no affiliation at all with the site or products, but have done a couple of reviews in the past for Photo related stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.