The Leopard Family Pack Thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Isn't a license the same thing as a serial # or am i getting that confused with something else.
[/COLOR][/i]

A license is legal permission to do something (like drive on a public road, fly an aircraft, use copyrighted software, or kill a man.)

A serial number, or key, is used by some companies to enforce the terms of their licenses.

Reaction score
A license is legal permission to do something (like drive on a public road, fly an aircraft, use copyrighted software, or kill a man.)

A serial number, or key, is used by some companies to enforce the terms of their licenses.

it could also be a separate license file and not a serial key/number.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
No, you don't have to be blood related to share a family pack. It's good on any 5 machines.
(I am lying; see the post below!)

Reaction score
This is right from the apple website.

*The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
oh Wow! Good spot. They're real specific.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
In these cases, it doesn't have to worry about piracy because the restore discs are model specific.

I just purchase a new 24" iMac. When you say model specific, does that mean hypothetically I could use the Leopard restore disks on my current white iMac?

M

MacHeadCase

Model specific means it is tied to a specific hardware model. And the Apple's EULA specifies that if you want to install an OS X version on more than one Mac, you need to buy the Family Pack, as was explicitly posted from the beginning of this thread.

Let's keep this thread within the bounds of the forum's rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
Model specific means it is tied to a specific hardware model. And the Apple's EULA specifies that if you want to install an OS X version on more than one Mac, you need to buy the Family Pack, as was explicitly posted from the beginning of this thread.

Let's keep this thread within the bounds of the forum's rules.

I hear what you are saying, and I am trying to stay within the boundaries. But after spending close to $6,000 for two computers in less than 1 year, it would be nice to have both of my iMacs running Leopard in my household of 1. That's all I'm saying.

M

MacHeadCase

I hear what you are saying, and I am trying to stay within the boundaries. But after spending close to $6,000 for two computers in less than 1 year, it would be nice to have both of my iMacs running Leopard in my household of 1. That's all I'm saying.

You don't have to buy Leopard at the very second it is released. Buying $6000 worth of computers was a decision you made, buying Leopard is also a decision you make.

And look on the bright side: it's much cheaper than Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Exactly, buying the Family Pack is still cheaper than buying two single licenses. And that is what makes Apple so great. Microsoft doesn't offer a deal even remotely similar to this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2Ghz, 500GB + Basic Macbook
So if I buy a family pack, and I take 2 lisences, and my friends pay for it (£26 each) - will I be able to give them it to use - and also how does it know whether or not you are family or in the same household, because technically we all have the same postcode at school, but live in different buildings...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Well $200 is just a drop in the bucket then huh? ;)

If you want Leopard on both your Macs, just get the family pack, it's good for up to five machines.

M

MacHeadCase

Schweb if Apple sold you your Family Pack good for only 3 Macs, they ripped you off. :D

*Pssstttt!!!* The family Pack is good for 5 Macs... ;D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Exactly, buying the Family Pack is still cheaper than buying two single licenses. And that is what makes Apple so great. Microsoft doesn't offer a deal even remotely similar to this.

A little perspective here and still think Steve put it best.

Leopard upgrade price - $129
Leopard full version retail price - $129
Leopard Ultimate - $129
Leopard 5 license upgrade price - $199
Leopard 5 license full version retail price - $199
Leopard Ultimate 5 license pack - $199

Newegg prices:
Vista Home Prem upgrade version- $149
Vista Home Prem full version - $219
Vista Ultimate upgrade version - $250
Vista Ultimate full version - $320
Vista Home Prem upgrade 2 licenses - $288
Vista Home Prem full ver. 2 licenses - $438
Vista Ultimate upgrade 2 licenses - $500
Vista Ultimate full ver. 2 licenses - $640
Vista Home Prem upgrade 5 licenses - $745
Vista Home Prem full ver 5 licenses - $1,095
Vista Ultimate upgrade 5 licenses - $1,250
Vista Ultimate full ver 5 licenses - $1,600

You can buy addtional licenses direct from MS instead of purchasing additional copies, from newegg's prices you can save:
$2 on VHP upgrade
$4 on VHP full
$17 on VU upgrade
and cost you $39 more than just buying another copy from newegg for the full version of VU

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
So if I buy a family pack, and I take 2 lisences, and my friends pay for it (£26 each) - will I be able to give them it to use - and also how does it know whether or not you are family or in the same household, because technically we all have the same postcode at school, but live in different buildings...

Reading the licence I doubt this very much unless you all live in the same actual flat or house as it says 'housing unit'

Oh and the install discs for tiger are easily copyable. It is perfectly legal to copy the install disc for your own use (at least in the uk) whatever the software company say. Cannot see how they could make the leopard ones much more difficult to copy, I will certainly be duplicating my leopard install disc. I will leave a copy at work with my other off site backups, the original in my safe and a working copy.

M

MacHeadCase

Well the thing is even if it is legal in the UK, the forum rules run on US law where it is illegal:

4- Illegal Activity: We choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

This also includes discussion of breaking the terms of software or hardware EULAs.

So whatever is posted here has to be within those rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Well the thing is even if it is legal in the UK, the forum rules run on US law where it is illegal:

So whatever is posted here has to be within those rules.

The software licence states that it is legal to duplicate it for your own use if it would be illegal to stop that it the country in question. I was simply saying that in the UK we can do that. I am amazed that it is illegal over there. We are only discussing what is and is not legal in various countries. I am not saying how to do it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I find the differences in the law from one country to another quite amazing. The law over there is much stricter for some things and quite lax on other things. Has anyone actually been prosecuted over there for backing up the original disc for their own use? How could they possibly justify that! Oh well seems a bit daft to me!

Do apple/adobe etc have a disc replacement scheme then to make up for it? Imagine spending the best part of a thousand dollars on unlimited leopard server or more on CS3 or something like that and it getting scratched.

At least Mac OS is dramatically more stable than Windows and doesn't need re-installing every other week. I have only had to re-install my mac mini twice (one of them because I couldn't get rid of a 20gb partition created by boot camp after it refused to remove it!). All the other Macs in the household are running their original installs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just read this off the Apple licence agreement on the US site.

"2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

.................. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all
copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original. "

It looks like you can backup your leopard disc for your own use after all !

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx104.pdf

I might be wrong but it looks like it to me, although this relates to tiger it is likely to be the same for leopard, lets hope so for all you lot over that side of the pond!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.