The full switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
Hi, I recently got the 14" 1.2Ghz iBook G4 :D :D and that I am selling my PC, I am looking for another Mac :)

I was looking at the iBook 12" 1Ghz with Airport Extreme 60Gb, 768Mb RAM and an Airport Express base :D - I think the screensize and portability is excellent & it sure looks great.. maybe i should wait until the next revision

Powermac G5 1.6Ghz 80Gb Nvidia FX5200, 256Mb RAM (not for long) Airport Extreme - I would game on this and use it as a file server to my iBook

The new iMac G5 low end model (If its relased I will consider)

Wait for Powerbook G5 (Don't have enough for a Powerbook yet, but probably more than enough if/when the G5 PB is released)

I will use the internet, mail, ichat and the occasional game every so often (Which my current iBook does fine so this is not important) My mum will also use one of them for the internet, so the laptops are quite handy, and they are not as bulky as desktops and I have a free LCD monitor available if I would like a larger screen to work on, and I have lots of school work coming up :(

What do you think is the best option? I am not allowed to buy until after WWDC :O

I have this feeling, that soon Apple is going to drop the G4 and no matter how fast it is, it won't work with new apps that are G5 only

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
What the **** is wrong with you? You have a perfectly fine Mac! Stick with it! Use that money for a car!
Also, the G4 is NOT dead. It has plenty of life in it.

BTW: Jaguar is ugly.

J

Joeytpg

Same opinion Absolute Zero, it's dumb to spend all that money on a computer that will do the exact same (or close) stuff you can do on a computer you already have.

Graeme43: Dude, again.....i tell you.....invest that money into a car, or something else you need, you already have a nice perfect ibook, buy more RAM, buy isight, or maybe a new LCD flat panel screen, invest your money into other cool and MORE necessary things instead of just spending it on the same stuff.

N

Nightblade

Yeah, I gotta agree on this one. I mean, in addition to the idiotic idea of getting the same thing, you should also keep with the PC that you already have. It could come in handy sometime, you never know. It doesn't hurt to be varied. BTW, what are your PC's specs?

T

TylerMoney

If you're going to get another mac, I would say get a powermac of some sort..not another iBook. And I wouldn't sell your PC either. I'll always have a mac and a PC, even though I'll probably always use the mac more. It's just always a good idea to have some of both worlds.

J

Joeytpg

Nightblade said:
Yeah, I gotta agree on this one. I mean, in addition to the idiotic idea of getting the same thing, you should also keep with the PC that you already have. It could come in handy sometime, you never know. It doesn't hurt to be varied. BTW, what are your PC's specs?

notally agree with you blade.......it's a right thing to be varied.....there are a lot of things you can do with a PC that you can't with MAC, and it's good to be able to do it.......

that's IMHO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Graeme43 said:
I have this feeling, that soon Apple is going to drop the G4 and no matter how fast it is, it won't work with new apps that are G5 only

If apple did that it would be absolute suicide for the company

J

Joeytpg

TylerMoney said:
If you're going to get another mac, I would say get a powermac of some sort..not another iBook. And I wouldn't sell your PC either. I'll always have a mac and a PC, even though I'll probably always use the mac more. It's just always a good idea to have some of both worlds.

you see, i'd really like a powermac, or a desktop MAC with a nice 20" display...but now i CAN'T..i need the portability a laptop gives me, so i'm going with the 15" pbook.

but later on, i'm definitely getting a desktop......but i'll always try to have desktop and portable at the same time (it works like a charm) and of course a PC laying on the back for cool Windows - PC related programs and apps, that wont run in MAC

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I won't get another iBook now, I will wait to WWDC04 has been and I will get a G5 desktop, either iMac (If released) or Powermac with a large HD because that will be handy, and I can then get a super cool Apple display :D.. what was i thinking :eek:

J

Joeytpg

Graeme43 said:
I won't get another iBook now, I will wait to WWDC04 has been and I will get a G5 desktop, either iMac (If released) or Powermac with a large HD because that will be handy, and I can then get a super cool Apple display :D.. what was i thinking :eek:

either way it's a dumb thing to do, but it's your money bro! good luck! :)

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I need a computer at my house while im out with my ibook at the weekend so a powermac will do me throughout the week and can be used for the internet while i am away :) and hopefully it will play games better than my ibook and i can use it as a file server and printer too :)

my mum aslo has her own computer but its got windows xp and is really crappy because it cant even get any pages to load.. but it got a virus when i plugged my modems ethernet into it.. so its just IE.. but firebird wont load any either :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a better idea, tell them to fix it and get a few accessories and have money left

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Tell them to fix it themselves and not to let them use your iBook. I do that all the time...

GO AWAY!! USE THE iMAC!!!

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"its quicker to use my ibook than to format the pc and restore it then get a cable down" "why cant i use the ibook instead?"

the thing is i got an iBook to take with me when i go out.. but my mum needs a internet machine and im NOT leaving my ibook for her :D because she has a smelly pc that should work

i can put a linux boot disk in it :D that way it wont need formatted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Thats what I did with my sis. She loves my powerbook. Her computer broke and she wanted to you mine but I went, "USE THE G5 for GODS SAKES!"(We have one on loan from my school. Nice little Dual 2Ghz :D ) But on the orignal topic, I competely agree with everyone else.You dont need another iBook. What I did was buy a PC and then I bought a PB. Only reason I have 2 is because its best to have both worlds. Both have pro and cons but both get the job done. So, thats why I own 2 laptops and I might get a G5. Gonna go to WWDC(i think)

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My mums boyfriend has a PC.. it doesn't work

My sister has a PC... it doesn't work

My dad has 2 PC's.. they half work

they all want my iBook!!!!!!!!!

I dont need 2 macs.. they need one and i need one

maybe thats what should happen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What the ****? A boot disk? Do you know how slow that would run? Just reformat without telling her... get Norton for it, get a muzzle for her if needed.

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well... apparently theres stuff that they cant loose so cannot fomat.. i even offered a 40gb external drive for backup :-/

lies i bet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Graeme43 said:
I dont need 2 macs.. they need one and i need one

maybe thats what should happen

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but in what way is that YOUR problem? If your mom or sister don't have a working computer, then that's their problem...not yours...YOU shouldn't have to pay for THEIR stuff....or is it that you just are looking for a reason to plop down your money for a G5 that you don't need?

Note: If I sounded mean or harsh in the above statement, I didn't mean it to be, it's just me trying to broadcast an obvious point that should have been identified earlier.

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats true... now I want accessories :D

I don't really have any that I need..... I got my ram slots full, I have iSkin, iCurve, Apple Pro Keyboard and Mouse

Electric Guitar through garageband would be GREAT :D for me anyway.. exept clueless on what to get - that would be uber uber cool like airport express that I have yet to get, and an iSight and maybe even an iPod :D

I'm gonna look around the apple store see if anything would be useful

M-Audio MobilePre USB Audio Interface looks like the thing I'm looking for

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.