The first charge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 120gb HD, 2.0ghz, 1gb Ram.
When you guys got your Macbooks, how long did you leave it plugged into to charger before turning it on and using it?

I have heard some people not charging it at all and other waiting 12+ hours. What do you guys recommend?

My macbook comes on wednesday:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
well mine came with about a 50% battery charge...i used it for about an hour before plugging it into anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Ditto, I was to eager to play then to look for a PSU!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
yeah mine came with about 50%, the macbook batteries aren't the kind that need charged to full before the initial use. at least this is what I've read on a few sites and it might say so in the manual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Well,

I played it safe. What I did is, as I was very Freakin Excited :D I just hooked it up to the power and turned it on rite away, and like all the fine folks above mine had about 50% charge out of the box.

Its a Sweeet Computer Enjoy, and don't forget to buckle up :D

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 120gb HD, 2.0ghz, 1gb Ram.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Good to know i dont have to wait any longer. Ive been tracking this thing ever since it left shanghai :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD
Sames,

Fire it up and enjoy!

I fired mine up and started playing immediately. I did plug it in the wall because I did not know charge level at time. Mine was about 50% as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
yeah mine came with about 50%, the macbook batteries aren't the kind that need charged to full before the initial use. at least this is what I've read on a few sites and it might say so in the manual.

Link.

The battery needs to be recalibrated from time to time to keep the onscreen battery time and percent display accurate. With all iBooks and PowerBook G4 computers except the aluminum PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), you should perform this procedure when you first use your computer and then every few months thereafter.

According to Apple the "best practice" is the fully charge then de-charge (See link above for full calibration proceedure) ibooks/powerbooks, and then do so again every few months. Not sure how often for the Macbooks/Pro's or if it's good for the 1st time use as it isn't mentioned. I'd suggest just doing it at some point and then every now and then.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I did the fully charge and then discharge of the battery when I got mine home.

But did so while I was usin' it. No freakin' way was I gonna sit around and wait for who know how long for it to get a full charge before I used it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.