The expansion slot

O

Orion119

What is this thing? The apple web site doesn't elaborate very well. Is it pcmcia compliant or is it somthing else? I know it's a bit of a stupid question but I can't seem to be able to find this anywhere.

OP
C

Cloudane

You'll have to describe it. Does it *look* like a PCMCIA slot? I know the 15" and 17" Powerbooks have them (probably iBooks too, unsure) so that's probably it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Orion119 said:
What is this thing? The apple web site doesn't elaborate very well. Is it pcmcia compliant or is it somthing else? I know it's a bit of a stupid question but I can't seem to be able to find this anywhere.

From Apple's Developer Notes:

PC Card/CardBus Slot

The PC Card/CardBus slot accepts one Type I or Type II card. The slot supports both 16-bit PC Cards and 32-bit CardBus Cards. The card can be removed and replaced while the computer is operating

OP
C

Cloudane

And in case you didn't know, PC Card / CardBus is the same as PCMCIA (well technically, PC Card/Cardbus are standards and PCMCIA is the organisation I think, but basically they all refer to the same slot type.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
It's there, so you can slot in Mac compatible media card readers for your digital cameras' media, GSM cards, Flip Drives and various other cards..

It's compatible with most Type I and II cards, just be sure they are Mac compatible. Otherwise you be looking for ghost device drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I use a SanDisk MMC reader in it which is great. Much quicker then using the USB 1 ports on my powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
yeah... MMC handy...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.