The computer ask to make "reset"

Reaction score
Dear All,

I have an ibook G4 1.33 Ghz and 512Mmemory for 1.5 years.
Until now withot problem. Now the computer more time asks for reset.
This message come on black base with white letter in some languages. Can not tell if there is a specific reason or just come out.
Like to know what can be the reason, what have to check and what try to make first. Somebody had such experiment?

Thanks for any advice.
doki_2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
That's called a 'kernel panic'.

Usually, it is caused by a piece of bad hardware, like RAM.

M

MacHeadCase

On one of the disks that came with your iBook, there should be one that contains the Hardware Test. Pop it in the optical drive and restart holding down the C key. When prompted, choose the Extended Test. This will check all the hardware components in your iBook: RAM, video card. etc.

View the results and see what it has detected. Of course, it might not come up with anything if the problem is intermittent.

And for safe measure, run Apple's Disk Utility from the CD holding down the C key again to check your hard drive.

Good luck! Let us know of the outcome of both these tests and we'll see where this will take us.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi surfwax 15 and MacHeadCase,
Thanks for the helping words.
I made first a Disk utility check with the "first aid".
Find something but not changed the situation.
Illegal name
Volume header need repair
Invalid B-tree header.
All was repaired
The hardware check start do not with "C" but with the "Option" key pushed at boot. Also find the computer hardware is OK and no problem.
Have more idea or take to the shop?

I have a "Live Linux" cd so I will try work with it and will see what happening. With it I like to know if the problem in the hardware or in the software.

Will comment it after this weekend if no problem with it.
If problem comes also with it even earlier.

I think if the Linux work well have to try reinstall.
What is the best method to save the data as a mirror or something else?

Thanks in advance.
doki_2

OP
D
Reaction score
...What I did is made a new installation (without delet/format) and all upgrades. The reset request/kernel panic sometimes come back.
My question what I can not read from other answers if I made
such installation without totally delete all can be still software problem or must be some hardware problem?
Thanks
doki_2

OP
D
Reaction score
I made a total new installation with format the result...

...the result is that nothing changed. It is a hardware problem...but what? Memory? HD?
The installation went OK as fisnished DVD 1 and made a reset shortly after >> "make a reset" etc
This will go to repair as it looks.
Thanks anyway.
Best regards,
doki_2

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What did it do with the Linux Live CD? Was it stable there?

OP
D
Reaction score
....The Linux looks OK but may be I have check for more time. I will do it now.

The memory showed out the total 512Mb but now I can not see it I can not make the new installation any more because can not got to the end. (because the kernel panic)

The hardware test that made now shows also all "Passed".
(Naturally the modem shows "Device found")

I will change the parts; memory (If it is not soldiered) or HD.
Just some idea what it can be?
Thanks for looking on this.

OP
D
Reaction score
...The Linux (Live/not installed Ubuntu Linux) work very well. Tried a lot of program to start and all went without any problem. This made probably with a lot of memory and without HD. Can we say that the HD is the problem, I mean the HD make the problem for the Tiger in this case?
doki_2

OP
D
Reaction score
The problem passed

....The problem passed hopefully and I do not know what was it.
Yesterday made again a new installation. The problem came back but much later. So I shutdown the computer and took out for a longer time the battery. Started again. That was 24 hours before. From that time the computer working well.
the solution was not in the format and the new installation I think.
Good I not got angry for such a thing and hope you not too.
Anyway thanks a lot.
doki_2

OP
D
Reaction score
ibook G4 kernel panic from Airport

Dear All,

Before some days ago I started a thread in the OS X because I had a message that I have to make a reset. Now I learn that it is a kernel panic and because I installed all again it comes again I do not think it is software problem.
More than that. I worked connected with cabel to the net.
When I turned on the Airport connection imediatle (more times) came the message.
Please write me what I can do to solve this.
Also like to write to Apple company about the problem and like to know the best address for that. (If this going on like this the HD will get a big demage)
Thanks in advance.
doki_2

G4 1.33 Ghz. 512 Mb Memory, Airport built in. Tiger with the last update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.