Texting android phones from ipad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2019, apple watch 5, iphone 11 pro max, ipad pro 12.9 inch 2nd gen. air pods, numerous
Hi, I know a few dinosaurs who use android phones. I am unable to message them from my ipad. iphone is ok. I find this extremely annoying! it’s so much easier to text on an ipad!
any clues on why this is so, or work arounds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You need to set up your devices properly. See this article for help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Does your iPad have a cellular connection or just WiFi. If only the latter, it will automatically be able to talk to other Apple devices through Messages using Apple's infrastructure. To talk to Android devices, it has to use SMS which requires a cell connection or forwarding from your iPhone to the iPad so that you can text from there.

This is no different than using your Mac to text someone on an Android phone.

OP
Starzz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2019, apple watch 5, iphone 11 pro max, ipad pro 12.9 inch 2nd gen. air pods, numerous
Does your iPad have a cellular connection or just WiFi. If only the latter, it will automatically be able to talk to other Apple devices through Messages using Apple's infrastructure. To talk to Android devices, it has to use SMS which requires a cell connection or forwarding from your iPhone to the iPad so that you can text from there.

This is no different than using your Mac to text someone on an Android phone.
My ipad does have cellular and wifi, yet when I send an SMS via the ipad to an android phone, it never goes through.

OP
Starzz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to set up your devices properly. See this article for help.

All pretty basic. I do that. It doesn’t work sending texts to android phones.
How embarrassment! I’ve just checked again and I was sending to a landline! Didn’t check to make sure the mobile number was selected. 😵💫

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
How embarrassment! I’ve just checked again and I was sending to a landline! Didn’t check to make sure the mobile number was selected

Thank you for your candid honesty. You are not alone, Starzz. The number of gaffes I've made on these forums is testament to how understanding our members are. :) ;)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Re. sending texts to landlines: it can work! Depending on what kind of contract the recipient has with their landline provider (and assuming they haven't given up plugging an actual phone into it and answering when it rings - I know... sooo 20th Century!), it's possible for an SMS message to be collected by the landline provider and delivered as a phone call, using a text-to-speech engine. I can remember occasionally getting these wierd robotic voice-message calls until quite recently when I unplugged all my phones. I'm in the UK, BTW - it was a BT service. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
All pretty basic. I do that. It doesn’t work sending texts to android phones.
How embarrassment! I’ve just checked again and I was sending to a landline! Didn’t check to make sure the mobile number was selected. 😵💫
Been there. Done that. So glad I'm not the only one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I know... sooo 20th Century!), it's possible for an SMS message to be collected by the landline provider and delivered as a phone call, using a text-to-speech engine.

We routinely receive text messages by voice, however, it's on our iPhones only. We do not have a landline but that particular service is available from most carriers here in the US. There are also special landline phones available for persons who have hearing problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
The method I use to send a text from my computer to an android phone is the following. Ex: If I am sending text to a Verizon phone I put in the address in an email as "phone number @vtext.com". That person will received it as a message and if they return it to you, then you will receive it as an email.
Different carriers can be looked up. Another example is A&T
phone number @txt.att.net.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The easiest way is to use SMS from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. You do not need to use other methods provided the Android owner is up and running.

Or, if you and your Android owner has an account on "WhatsApp" that's even easier. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Is VOIP considered "landline" or is landlines only for the old hard wired phone lines?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It should be noted that most cable providers also offer VoIP as an option when you choose to open an account with them.

VoIP = Voice over Internet Protocol

Keep in mind that if your internet connection is down for one reason or another, so is your VoIP phone. However, using the internet as a medium for making calls can be a real money saver if for instance you make a lot of calls internationally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
VOIP is what I have here in Las Vegas for my home phone. Having previously had a real landline in Hawaii, the question is how do I refer to my Home phone connection? VOIP may not be understandable to some. And I hate to get into a long winded conversation explaining the difference , so I just say landline. I know that is incorrect, but the difference would be lost on most people I believe.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VOIP may not be understandable to some. And I hate to get into a long winded conversation explaining the difference , so I just say landline. I know that is incorrect, but the difference would be lost on most people I believe.

That's fine. Most folks don't care whether your contact number is a landline or mobile phone, as long as they can call you.

Most cable providers will throw in a VoIP phone connection as part of their "bundle" package. So it can be a good way to save money if you do a lot of calling outside of the US.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.