Text spam...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Hello everyone...

I trust everyone in your family is still in good health. :phew

What is everyone doing with spam text, like this one:

spam text.jpg

Of course, other than the obvious answer of just delete and under no circumstances click on the link...

Calling the phone number displayed resulted in the "The number that you dialed is not in service..." message. Blocking by just the phone number does not work.

The "Filter Unknown Numbers" is turned on, that disables notification for unknown senders and enables reporting the spam text to Apple. In addition, it also places the phone number on to the blocked list locally on the iPhone.

Lately, I've been getting a few of them a day, as of late...

Is there anything else that can be done?

TIA...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There is absolutely nothing you can do but just delete the text and hope they don't try you again. Calling back doesn't matter since it's a spoofed number that is either not valid or will go to a totally random person who has no idea what you are talking about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Lately, I've been getting a few of them a day, as of late...

Is there anything else that can be done?

If they keep coming and really annoy you, you could try expanding the headers and then copy the server address, the e-mail address after after the @ . IE: the anytownserver.com part from the I]From: [email protected][/I] SPAM email address.

Send that address to ICANN Lookup
then look for the email Abuse address and copy it and then paste it in the To: address of the SPAM E-mail you want to report and send it.

Make sure to keep and send all the original expanded header info intact and maybe some or all of the offending email.

If they can, they will attend to the abuse and may even shut them down.

It is a nice feeling if then when you get an e-mail back saying that the sender's account has been shut down for abusing the rules. :D

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Ashwin...

I was pretty certain that the phone # displayed is not in service. Does make you wonder how the text sent out.

Would have preferred proactive solution, but delete it is...

@Patrick...

Are you suggesting that the text sent by email? I did not see an option in the text to display email address.

Emails I can deal with, just block them on my email server.

PS: The person could be naughty[I][B]jane[/B][/I]@anytownserver.com as well...:wink:devil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@Patrick...

Are you suggesting that the text sent by email? I did not see an option in the text to display email address.

My misstate Cr00zng, I was assuming it was something you received via e-mail, the usual source of SPAM.

Again I broke my first rule, Never assume nuttin...

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thanks Ashwin...

I was pretty certain that the phone # displayed is not in service. Does make you wonder how the text sent out.

Would have preferred proactive solution, but delete it is...

@Patrick...

PS: The person could be naughtyjane@anytownserver.com as well...:wink:devil:

Using any SMS service online, you can set the From phone number to be anything random, there is no verification of that. For robocalls, they usually use VoIP systems which again allow for random From phone numbers. A couple of times, I've called those robocallers back and gotten totally random strangers in random part of Massachusetts and when I ask them if they called me or know anything about what was being "sold" to me, they have no idea what I'm talking about.

So unfortunately this is VERY easy to do and even if you report the bad number, it doesn't meant much because you aren't reporting the real culprit, just a random stranger.

OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks for the link that provided guidance for the proactive solution...

The Magenta Company (TMobile) does block it via "Caller Verified enhancement (STIR/SHAKEN)"

If you have a Caller Verified enabled device, you will see "Caller Verified" on the dialer when you receive a call that has been verified as authentic, not spoofed.

Unfortunately, not all carriers implemented the STIR/SHAKEN yet, Verizon is missing from the list in the US. I'll see. if the spam text messages drop during the next couple of days.

The customer rep I talk to told me, that spammers are using caller id spoofing for text messages. The "STIR/SHAKEN" can also block caller ID spoofed text messages, if enabled in the account settings. The spam blocking can also be enabled via dialing #662# on the smartphone.

PS: I love TMobile service and support. With their limited hours and staffing during this pandemic, it took two minutes to talk to a rep... :app

OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My misstate Cr00zng, I was assuming it was something you received via e-mail, the usual source of SPAM.

Again I broke my first rule, Never assume nuttin...

- Patrick
======

No worry Patrick, to err is human, thanks for trying to help...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
See this article:

How to Block Robotexts and Spam Messages | PCMag

Nomorobo works even with text messages. I use it and it's an impressive service.
I use this as well but I'd forgotten that it blocked spam texts. I don't get many of those though.

Re spoofed phone numbers. I got s text from someone wanting to know why I had called him. I replied that I had not called him since I try not to make personal calls at work unless it is before/after class or an emergency. The caller proceded to text me a copy of his "Recent" list. There was my number at the top of the list. I'm not sure he believed me when I assured him that I hadn't made any calls in almost 24 hours.

OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update about the T-Mobile's Caller Verified enhancement (STIR/SHAKEN)...

Since enabled with my service, I may get one or two spam text a week, it's definitely not a daily occurrence as it used to be. In addition, the number of spam calls dropped substantially.

All in all, the service works, but like any other similar services, it is not 100%...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.