Text Edit vs. Password vs. Sparseimage Folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hello To All!

I am using OS X 10.6.8 on a MacBook Pro 3.1 model. I've got two user profiles. On only one of them I am having a goofy time with Text Edit. It just started today.

When I click to open Text Edit.app or an existing rtf file, the screen to enter the password for an encrypted sparse image folder on that user's side pops open. If I click "Cancel", it returns. If I click "Cancel exactly 4 times, it goes away & I can use Text Edit.app and save the files. Or, if I enter the password, it mounts the image & I can work on the document.

Both users have a sparseimage folder. It only happens on one user side.

I tried repairing permissions & scouring the app's preferences with no luck. Do any of you know what's going on or how ti fix it?
Thanks For You Help!
Paul

Reaction score
Perhaps some files from that sparse image are 'recents' for TextEdit. Start TextEdit and let it open all the files that it wants to, even if needing a password. Close all the file windows for TextEdit, clear its recents menu and quit TextEdit. See if that makes any difference.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank You ron4mac for takng the time to reply. I sure appreciate your help.

I tired your suggestions & sadly didn't have any success. After clearing Recent, I repaired permissions again- Still no luck.

At this point, any Text Edit file I open that exists on the computer (in that user profile only), asks for the sparseimage password & mounts the sparse image. These files are not in the sparseimage folder. Just regular, old files, for instance in Documents or on the desktop.

If I just click to open Text Edit I still get prompted for the password for the sparse image folder.

If I enter the password, the sparseimage is mounted and the file opens. If I decline the password prompt by clicking 'Cancel' exactly 4 times, the folder opens and the sparse image is not mounted.

On the other user profile (which also happens to have a different sparseimage that is password protected), there are no problems with the rtf files.

Now the crazy part-
My user accounts are "Real Life" and "Work Stuff". Real Life is the administrator. Work Stuff is the one giving me the problems.

If I am logged into Real Life and navigate to HDD/Users/Work Stuff and find any rtf (outside the sparse image) and click it, the file opens fine. No prompt for a password.

If I log into Work Stuff where the file lives and click the same rtf, I get the password request trouble.

Crazy, indeed!

Is there a way on OS X 10.6.8 to uninstall & reinstall Text Edit on that profile, or does my problem lay elsewhere?

Thanks Again!
Paul

Reaction score
If I just click to open Text Edit I still get prompted for the password for the sparse image folder. If I enter the password, the sparseimage is mounted and the file opens.

When you just click TextEdit to open it, what file is it that opens, as you said, after entering the password for the sparse image?

Make sure TextEdit is not running and, while logged into the troublesome account, from the Finder menu choose Go > Go to Folder. In the dialog, enter "~/Library/Preferences" (no quotes and make sure the ~/ is at the beginning of what you enter). Click Go and you will be take to a list of preference files for that account. Choose whatever is necessary in the Finder window for you to see the list of files in alphabetical order. Find the ones that begin with "com.apple.TextEdit" and move them to the trash. Run TextEdit to see if the behavior has changed.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ron4mac. Thanks for sticking with me on this conundrum.

Sorry for the confusion. I phrased the below sentence very clumsily.
When I click to open Text edit, after I decline the sparseimage's password requests or enter the sparseimage passworda blank document will open .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGB1
If I just click to open Text Edit I still get prompted for the password for the sparse image folder. If I enter the password, the sparseimage is mounted and the file opens.

When you just click TextEdit to open it, what file is it that opens, as you said, after entering the password for the sparse image?

I followed your excellent instructions & deleted the files with com.apple.textedit.
There were two files. (com.apple.TextEdit.LSSharedFileList.plist and com.apple.TextEdit.plist)

The symptoms remained. I tried re-launchin Finder. It didn't help. Then, I re-started the computer. No luck yet.

One small thing changed after I followed your steps-
If I click on the application icon to open Text Edit or if I click an existing Text Edit document, now I only have to decline the password request twice and the program starts. (It used to be 4 times)

Thanks Again!
Paul

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Think it's solved.

A quick recap of the user accounts- My computer has 2 user accounts. Real Life is the administrator & Work Stuff is the one having the problem with Text Edit. The sparseimage is on Work Stuff. The problem occurs whether I am accessing the file (on Work Stuff only) while logged into Work Stuff or Real LIfe. Real Life Text Edit never had the problem.

For some reason I started wondering if the sparseimage was causing the problem with Text Edit. While logged into Work Stuff I did the cmd-I to get information about the sparseimage.

I noticed that the administrator (Real Life) did not have Write access- Just Read Only. I changed it to allow Read/Write for Real Life. (I think it would be handy to have 'write' access without logging into Work Stuff as I usually do.)

I clicked on an existing Text Edit rtf to add some information. (Logged into Work Stuff)

Surprise!

The file opened without asking for the sparseimage password. After quitting Text Edit, I tried opening Text Edit for a blank document by clicking the application's icon. It opened fine- No password request.

To Re-Test- I shut the computer down & tried again. Still working A-OK.

I can not think of any possible reason that allowing the administrator Read/Write access to the spareseimage would repair Text Edit's problem, especially since the problem exists while logged into Work Stuff.

Do you have any guess about why allowing access to the image fixed the problem? I am quite curious, indeed.

I very much want to Thank You, ron4mac, for your help. I also appreciate your guidance for Go To Folder. I never knew this existed.

Paul

PS: Hopefully I won't be posting back in an hour saying "The Problem's back!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.