• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Terrible news... Va Tech Shooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Such terrible news... I know there are a lot of students on this forum, hopefully none are involved in anyway...

Reports are 22 dead 28 injured..

So very sad.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
Oh, wow. My heart is with you all. Thanks for posting this, RIDE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Woah, that's terrible news.

What can you say to stuff like that - it's shocking - just shouldn't be possible.

Reaction score
I'm hearing there are 28 dead now according to Sky News, awful, awful business :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Truly shocking, yet alarmingly not surprising. My thoughts are with allthe victims, their families and the families of the shooter as well who have a nightmare to come no doubt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I know people who went to Tech, work with people who went there. It's a good school. This is unimaginable.

Reaction score
Reports now say 31 dead along with the gunman. What a horrific ordeal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Yea I'm listening to the BCC News and there is unconfirmed reports about 2 Shooters but at the moment the Police are only confirming 1 Shooter.

It's very sad that this kind of killing to anyone can happen, let alone the killing of 31 Innocent People.

I can't imagine the feelings going through Victim's Family who will be visited by Police to inform them that their Son's or Daughters will never be coming home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I heard on the radio that the shooter was looking for his girlfriend. How does this happen? I can't believe we have another Columbine situation on our hands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I'm not a Virginia Tech student until August, I go to school 45 miles east. This is terrible. All of my friends have been lucky, I feel terrible for those who were not.

Talks of the shooter(s) lining students up in a class room and executing them? Unbelievable. This is a clear example that terrible things can happen anywhere at any time.

I can only see more gun control measures in the future as a result of this, unfortunately. What a sad time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Awful news. It was on the front page of my paper. SO SAD.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I can only see more gun control measures in the future as a result of this, unfortunately. What a sad time.

The truth is the "Gun Free Zones" on universities really only creates a virtual slaughter house for the criminals, killers, and madmen.

If any laws are changed/created IMO it should be allowing students/teachers with proper training the right to protect themselves with a concealed weapon. As apposed to the current laws requiring them to simply wait their turn at the mercy of a psychopath.

Reaction score
CNN getting preliminary report that shooter was a VT student, and shooter killed himself.

MSNBC (when it wasn't focused on how evil guns are) interviewed a student by phone who claimed to be in one of the rooms the gunman attacked. He said the shooter killed the professor then randomly began shooting into the mass of students on the floor. When he left the room, two students went to block the door as the shooter came back; unable to get the door open, he fired multiple rounds through the door but didn't hit anyone.

Fox News (when it wasn't focused on how evil computer games are) is reporting that federal sources have confirmed 32 total dead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
If any laws are changed/created IMO it should be allowing students/teachers with proper training the right to protect themselves with a concealed weapon. As apposed to the current laws requiring them to simply wait their turn at the mercy of a psychopath.

I really dont want to get into a debate, but more guns is not the option. Figures have shown time and time again that proliferation of firearms only serve to increase gun crime. Whilst the US has several thousand murders from firearms every year, the rest of the western world put together doesnt reach half that figure. Most of those countries have tighter gun laws and most of their police to not carry weapons.

The only way to deal with it is at the source, not the mouth. Killing rampaging students will still not help to stop the murders of these students, only treating and preventing such a rampage from taking place will do that.

I cant imagine what would drive someone to do that. Truly humanity at its worst.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
I really dont wan't this thread to turn into a debate about gun crime etc, Lets try and keep this one slightly more on topic hey?

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected

~~ TS ~~

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Truly sad that so many lives with such promise were ended with such careless violence. As a parent (though my children are younger) I am so deeply saddened for the phone calls and visits being taken probably at this moment by the parents of these victims.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
As a parent (though my children are younger) I am so deeply saddened for the phone calls and visits being taken probably at this moment by the parents of these victims.

I can't even imagine.

Reaction score
My guess:

Listening to the cellphone "video" coverage on CNN, it sounds to me like the quieter shots were a pistol (probably the shooter). Then the last shot you hear is a much louder shot ... like, perhaps, a police rifle or shotgun. And immediately after that last loud shot, police start screaming commands.

If that's the case, it's quite possible that one of the officers on the scene ended things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB iPhone, 17" iMac, 13" MacBook & 17" MacBook Pro
very, very sad. so tragic.

my heart goes out to the victims and the victims' families.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.