telnet handler gone wrong

Reaction score
after upgrading to Catalina, my telnet via terminal is half broken. I use a homepage with telnet urls, this was working before upgrading.

After upgrading it still opens a terminal window, but with the error: Command not found: telnet

If I open terminal and type telnet it is there and opens without any problems.

If I change telnet handler to secureCRT, it opens and connect to the device.

What am I missing here ? I really miss the simple terminal window

/claus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Look in System Preferences > Security, something may need to be authorized, maybe?

OP
C
Reaction score
not sure, but that would also cause a problem general with telnet in terminal. If I manual try accessing the same device from the url, things are working Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 18.56.46.png Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 18.56.46.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Catalina doesn't come bundled with the Telnet application. I'm confirmed with a "which telnet" in both BASH and ZSH and both of them yield a "command not found" error.

By default the Terminal launched by other programs will use BASH as the shell while you (like myself) are using ZSH as your shell.

So, in your ZSH shell do the "which telnet" to see where it is installed. If not in the normal path like /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin and so on, that's the reason for the error.

OP
C
Reaction score
Both ZSH and BASH state >
CKA-MBP2-2:~ cka$ which telnet
/usr/local/bin/telnet

both shells work when I in the terminal type: telnet 192.168.45.244 32834

But it will not work from url pointing to the same address

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.