Teething problems?

Reaction score
Being new to iPhones, just got an iPhone 4 for my birthday, running iOS 7.1.2, seems Apple have a few issues with the new iOS 8?
Is it worth waiting a while for these to be resolved, my phone works just fine and I really don't want to start getting problems :Smirk:

Reaction score
If you have a iPhone 4 and not a 4s then your not compatible with ios 8 anyhow.

So problem solved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
I have an iOS5 not a 5s.. I've yet to read any problems with up grading to 8. Any opinions or
links about that? Should I stick with 7.1.2?

Reaction score
Man i did the same as you i am sure. i searched for people having troubles with ios 8 and a 5 with no results.

my brother in law has a iphone 5 and said it runs the same it just looks different.

i am not going to tell you what to do either way but if i had a iphone 5 with 7.1.2 i personally would upgrade.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an iOS5 not a 5s.

You actually have an iPhone 5.:) "iOS 5" is a old version of the iPhones operating system.

As far as the question about upgrading from iOS 7 to iOS 8. Are there features in iOS 8 that you need or want?…this would be one reason to upgrade (or not).

Also…upgrading right away can involve some risk…if there happens to be some bugs. Sometimes it's better to wait a bit…to see what the early reviews & experiences are of other users. Waiting a week (or two) certainly is not that long.:)

But then again…some folks like to be early adopters.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Thanks Nick. I know what I meant. Yes, I usually wait a few weeks. Still might stick w/7

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Nick. I know what I meant.

I'm sure you did...but other folks reading this thread around the world may not...and be confused.;) Thus the small correction.:)

Yes, I usually wait a few weeks. Still might stick w/7

In the "old days"...upgrading to a new OS version usually meant being very careful that the device being upgraded had the specs to run the new OS version properly (enough memory, enough storage, speedy enough cpu/graphics). Otherwise the new OS version would /could run very slow. But this seems to be less & less of a concern over the past few years+.

Now the main reasons for upgrading to a new OS version is either because newer apps require a certain OS version...or upgrading to the new iOS/OS version is done to take advantage of new features.

I'm sure iOS 8 is worth upgrading to.:) I usually like to wait a short time just to let things "shake-out" a bit.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

It's worth repeating that if you have an interest in upgrading to the new iCloud Drive, you can go ahead and move to iOS 8 if you want but DO NOT turn the iCloud Drive feature on until your Mac is on Yosemite. You will get a warning about this if you try. Only when all the machines are up-to-date should you turn on the iCloud Drive option. Should turn out to be very cool after that point, but we'll have to see about that.

Reaction score
except for one major issue that no one here seems to mention.

iphone 4 won't support iOS 8 but that doesn't mean its dead apple will now support 7.0 and 8.0 iOS instead via the app store so the device will still work however iOS 6 is dead apple will just upgrade the app store on the iPhone to no longer support that o.s version

Reaction score
except for one major issue that no one here seems to mention.

iphone 4 won't support iOS 8 but that doesn't mean its dead apple will now support 7.0 and 8.0 iOS instead via the app store so the device will still work however iOS 6 is dead apple will just upgrade the app store on the iPhone to no longer support that o.s version

What?

I know people still using iPhone 3GS. I don't think anyone meant that you have to stop using your 4 or anything like that. I keep a 4 as my back up in case something goes wrong with my 5s. There is still much life in the ole 4.

:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Only when all the machines are up-to-date should you turn on the iCloud Drive option.

Even if you did turn it on before Yosemite, you can always turn it off from a setting on your iPhone.

OP
C
Reaction score
If you have a iPhone 4 and not a 4s then your not compatible with ios 8 anyhow.

So problem solved.

Sorry, it's the 4s but having read all the disasters on here I don't think I'll bother;)
Just posted a new thread on how to get rid of the red1 on my "settings" icon?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.