System32 for Mac?

Reaction score
Is there a folder, that, if deleted (like system 32 on windows) it will destroy the OS? I ask because my first mac, which was an old G2 (6 years ago) was destroyed by me, beginner mistake. It was my first computer and I thought deleting stuff would make it faster lol. I deleted something major, as the computer would never start after that.

IS there a folder that is similar to system32 that when deleted, it pretty much wrecks the machine?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, the 'System' folder at the root of your system partition. That said, it should not allow you to delete it without requesting authentication. Also, there is a whole bunch of other hidden system folders that could be equally dangerous to delete. But again, you would have to take great pains to delete them - it is not something you could casually do.

Anytime you get prompted for your credentials, it is generally good practice to question the validity of the action that lead to the prompt.

OP
M
Reaction score
"Anytime you get prompted for your credentials, it is generally good practice to question the validity of the action that lead to the prompt".

I get prompted a lot with mac haha. Anytime I run anything.

Thanks! I was just wondering if it is as easy to mess up by deleting as it is on windows, both prompt you though, I suppose. Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Anytime you get prompted for your credentials, it is generally good practice to question the validity of the action that lead to the prompt".

I get prompted a lot with mac haha. Anytime I run anything.

Thanks! I was just wondering if it is as easy to mess up by deleting as it is on windows, both prompt you though, I suppose. Thanks!

That should be a pretty rare event. If it's happening frequently, either you're doing something wrong or you have some kind of a configuration issue.

OP
M
Reaction score
That should be a pretty rare event. If it's happening frequently, either you're doing something wrong or you have some kind of a configuration issue.

Being prompted for password? I get it when ever I run Onyx, update, etc not just out of nowhere.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being prompted for password? I get it when ever I run Onyx, update, etc not just out of nowhere.

OK - updates should request your Mac App Store / Apple ID password, that's different. Onyx will definitely want your admin password, but that should be a once in a blue moon type of thing. If you're running Onyx more often than that (once a quarter is probably pushing it), you're defeating the point of the caches it's clearing.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK - updates should request your Mac App Store / Apple ID password, that's different. Onyx will definitely want your admin password, but that should be a once in a blue moon type of thing. If you're running Onyx more often than that (once a quarter is probably pushing it), you're defeating the point of the caches it's clearing.

Got you. Thanks. I have an i7 27 in late 2012 iMac and am still lost with it. So used to windows ( I do tech support for windows machines at work) and I am still lost. I mean, there isn't much troubleshooting to do, but I do only do onyx like once in a blue moon. Things like viewing pictures is a pain because I cannot simply open a photo from finder and have it open maximized, I cannot click "next" to quickly scroll through pics. They have to be imported into iPhoto, crazy. I don't know, just a lot of little things that make it a pain. Like iTunes, it will just let you drag 10 discography's into iTunes that are already in there, and NEVER tell you that you are copying a duplicate. Then, when you "find duplicates" you have to manually uncheck 1000 songs? Makes no sense!

M

MacInWin

Things like viewing pictures is a pain because I cannot simply open a photo from finder and have it open maximized, I cannot click "next" to quickly scroll through pics. They have to be imported into iPhoto, crazy.
You can view photos in Preview, if you drag more than one, you can move between them. Also, if you highlight on one picture file in Finder and press the spacebar, you get a quicklook view of it, and if you then use arrow keys to go down and up the file list, each one will appear. I don't know exactly what you mean by "maximized" but they fill most of the Finder window and most of the screen on my 17" MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.