system preferences icon - oops

G

Godfather

Hi all,

I have accidently deleted the system preferences icon, and now, guess what, a big question mark awaits me in the dock, telling me I am an idiot, and that no "control panels" will work for me (at least the windows that holds them) :eek:neye:

So... how can I restore this file/icon ? A complete install from scratch ?

And how did the OS X give me such a possibility ? isn't it like deleting autoexec.bat on the PeeCee ? :spook:

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
does your system preferences in your applications folder work??? if so just drag and drop onto your dock

-chris

OP
G

Godfather

Well...

coach_z said:
does your system preferences in your applications folder work??? if so just drag and drop onto your dock

-chris

That's exactly the icon I deleted.... :eek:neye:

Wasn't it supposed to be locked ?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
no, its not locked, thats the actual system preferences app, apple assumes you won't delete it. you can a. reinstall your os, or b. use pacifist to extract the system prefs app from the panther install discs and that will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Godfather said:
That's exactly the icon I deleted.... :eek:neye:

Wasn't it supposed to be locked ?????

hi

can you not just go to system preferences by choosing
apple logo then system preferences

this should place a fresh icon in the dock?

or am I missing something?

regards

OP
S

sonofapplepm

Try this...click the finder icon, the one that looks klike a facr with the line down the middle....then click where it says applications on the left side colunm...then look for system prefs. If it is there you should be able to click on it or drag and drop it on to the dock. Sorry if this is over simplified, but I don't know your level of ability with OSX.

EDIT: I guess they beat me to it!!!

OP
J

Jefe3223

um...here's a suggestion (i haven't exactly read the whole thread, but I'm on a time crunch and want to see i can suggest). If it's just the icon (not the preferences itself) can't you just get candy bar and hit restore on that icon? I think so. But I'd Suggest to listen to others first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
sonofapplepm said:
Try this...click the finder icon, the one that looks klike a facr with the line down the middle....then click where it says applications on the left side colunm...then look for system prefs. If it is there you should be able to click on it or drag and drop it on to the dock. Sorry if this is over simplified, but I don't know your level of ability with OSX.

EDIT: I guess they beat me to it!!!

yea, that is what i was getting at....but that is the one he deleted...it makes more sense now...

just listen to macman like normal
-chris

OP
G

Godfather

Well, I will give it a try...

Thanks for all the help, I will tell you soon what happened...
:doctor:

OP
P

PowerbookG417

go to your buddys house that has a mac or better yet...ill send it to yah...grab someone elses system preferance app put it in your folder and go, i dont think it stores information inside of the package but yet grabs the infor from the preference files so im thinking you just need the app itself
cause it you have to manually install APE you install it in a library file no where near the applications folder

if you want let me know if you need the application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
Macman said:
no, its not locked, thats the actual system preferences app, apple assumes you won't delete it. you can a. reinstall your os, or b. use pacifist to extract the system prefs app from the panther install discs and that will work.

Pacifist is friggin' awesome....it's saved my *** many a time when I've deleted stuff off the dock.... :doctor:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.