System does not update...

Reaction score
The problem is that I cannot install system updates.

App Store notifies me about new system updates, I click "Update" it shows a progress bar for half a second, then behaves as if it is installed successfully and shows it in "installed for the last 30 days". But nothing really happens. When I do it again, I get the same result, and see the same another "successfully installed update" below.
Other updates (not system) install normally.

What I did to solve the problem:
1. Tried to download update manually (10.10.2 combo update) and run installer. The same behavior, all good (but too fast), asks to reboot, nothing happens
2. Dowloaded the Yosemite 10.10.2 full installer (through App Store/Purchases), installed it over my 10.10.1. It did update, now I have 10.10.2, but other system updates behave the same way (can't install Remote Desktop Client update and new HP 3.0 update e.g.)

Don't have clue what to do next...

MacBookPro8,1
Intel Core i7, 16 Gb RAM

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Have you tried signing out of the app store? App Store - > Store -> scroll to bottom of drop down and click sign out.

Close the app store then relaunch it and sign back in with your apple id and password,

It will also show on that drop down the name of the apple id currently being used. There could be a password issue.

Worth a try if you haven't done it.

Lisa

OP
I
Reaction score
Have you tried signing out of the app store? App Store - > Store -> scroll to bottom of drop down and click sign out.

Close the app store then relaunch it and sign back in with your apple id and password,

It will also show on that drop down the name of the apple id currently being used. There could be a password issue.

Worth a try if you haven't done it.

Lisa

Thank you Lisa, I did all you said, but the issue persists... (

As I noted above, I tried to install the updates not via the App Store - the same behavior. So, may be this is not the MAS? All the more, it installs other updates normally (not system updates)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do have an Apple ID, and your ID was used to download the operating system, not someone else's who you may have purchased the machine from? Alas the operting system always remains the property of the original owner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You do have an Apple ID, and your ID was used to download the operating system, not someone else's who you may have purchased the machine from? Alas the operting system always remains the property of the original owner.

Yikes! Good catch harryb2448! So if this is the case, can the OP download Yosemite, create a bootable USB, and reinstall OS X using their apple id to fix the update issue? Or is there another fix?

(Just picking your brain for knowledge here! O:) )

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yikes! Good catch harryb2448! So if this is the case, can the OP download Yosemite, create a bootable USB, and reinstall OS X using their apple id to fix the update issue? Or is there another fix?

(Just picking your brain for knowledge here! O:) )

Lisa

I think that works though I've never tried it personally.

@OP If Harry's suggestion doesn't work try this and see if it fixes things:
1. If you have another administrator account on your Mac log into that account. If not go to the User & Groups preference pane and create a new account.
2.Now launch the App Store and log in to your App Store account. Now try to install the software and see what happens.

If this works we'll have to do a bit of detective work in the original user account to figure out which file is causing the problem. It's probably a bad plist file.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you all!
I'll give it a try one by one, beginning with the easiest things to do )

As for questions:
1. This was my MBP from the very beginning
2. I bought OS X using my current Apple ID, it didn't change for a very long time. And OS X have always been the property of my actual Apple ID
3. I've already downloaded 10.10.2 installer and reinstalled OS X. But not via the bootable USB. It did update from 10.10.1 to 10.10.2, but other system updates still cannot be installed

What may be the case...
I have a couple of "post hoc ergo propter hoc" ideas:

1. Lately, before it happened, I bought and installed 16GB of RAM and 240 GB SSD (not apple supported, so I use trim enabler). For transferring the data from my HDD to SSD I used Carbon Copy Cloner. It did its job well, system works. But I’m not sure that it copied the recovery partition or some other critical data. I use for it another USB HDD and back up regularly using Acronis. When I created a «Bootable Media» (Acronis’s term) through Acronis it somehow copied recovery data (or the whole recovery partition) from my old HDD to new USB HDD. So, when I boot from it, it shows the Recovery Mode interface, but in addition, among the standard choices, I see there in the list «Recover from Acronis backup». I also have my old HDD unchanged and bootable (through USB).

2. I bought CleanMyMac2 app, and run it. Maybe it deleted some files, or did something wrong...

OP
I
Reaction score
I think that works though I've never tried it personally.

@OP If Harry's suggestion doesn't work try this and see if it fixes things:
1. If you have another administrator account on your Mac log into that account. If not go to the User & Groups preference pane and create a new account.
2.Now launch the App Store and log in to your App Store account. Now try to install the software and see what happens.

If this works we'll have to do a bit of detective work in the original user account to figure out which file is causing the problem. It's probably a bad plist file.

Just did this. Nothing changed, unfortunately (
Loaded App Store in new Admin Account using my Apple ID, tried to install "Remote Desktop" update - the same behavior...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may have been better served formatting the SSD and installing Yosemite via a new download, and then hook up the external drive and use Migration Assistant to bring files and apps over. This way you will have a nice clean install of Yosemite.

Junk CleanMyMac, Mackeeper and any other like utilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All we can do is try and remove any problems. Sunds like yours is a software problem. Any chance you are running software such as Mackeeper, CleanMyMac, antivirus etc?

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you Harry!

Do you really think it could cause my problem?
I use CleanMyMac2, I can remove it with AppCleaner for sure.

But I have all the logs from the very beginning, and could look through it, if I new what to search for...

OP
I
Reaction score
Removed CleanMyMac2 completely.
Problem is still here (((((((((((((

If I reinstall Yosemite from bootable USB, will it solve my problem?
And my apps and data will it remain, or I will need to reinstall them too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you do a format of the drive evrything will be wiped. Simply running the Yosemite installer will leave it there. Did you run the uninstaller as set out here. Perhaps it may be necessary to install again and then run the uninstaller:-

How To Uninstall CleanMyMac 2? Complete Removal of Mac Apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
Yeah I have heard bad things about clean my mac

OP
I
Reaction score
Yes, I did run the installer inside the CleanMyMac2. Moreover, I crosschecked the items to delete with the AppCleaner. Have to say that the last found much less items (8 over 13). As well as in other cases with other apps.

Question: if I reinstall Yosemite from the bootable USB over the existing one, is it any difference when I simply run Yosemite (10.10.2) installer from inside the current OS X (also 10.10.2)? Cause the latter I've already tried (no success...)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.