Syncing Music with Big Sur

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 512GB
This may help some people out there, it caught me today. I recently upgraded my MacBook Air to Big Sur, previous to this I could sync my iPhone 8 to Apple Music via Apple Music itself, since the Big Sur upgrade this is no longer possible, Apple Music does not recognise the phone, you now have to use Finder, it is easy to do, all explained in this link Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad or iPod with your computer.
The annoying thing is that I don't recall a warning about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I've been using Finder since Music, TV, & Podcasts replaced iTunes in Catalina last year.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The annoying thing is that I don't recall a warning about this.

What version of macOS were you using before upgrading to Big Sur? Apple did away with iTunes after Mojave. From Catalina on, the Music app is separate.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@DCM_UK

The iPhone 8 will take the latest version of iOS, which is 14.6

iOS 14.6 is definitely compatible with macOS 11 Big Sur - latest version is 11.4

Therefore syncing your iPhone 8 should work perfectly. Simple things first: reboot the MacBook Air. Restart the iPhone 8.

Connect the iPhone 8 via its USB cable to the Mac. Open Finder. In the Sidebar you should see the iPhone 8 listed under Locations. Click on it. Wait a moment or two till it loads.

You should then see this:

Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 11.14.01 pm🌙.png

Click on whichever header you wish. To sync music, click on "Music" and so on.

Is this what you are doing? Can you tell us which part of the process described above isn't working for you, please?

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
DCM_UK, I'm sure that your post will be of help to those who have taken the big step of upgrading macOS to Big Sur from say Mojave or earlier. It was a real topic of conversation when Apple made this move back in Sept 2020 with the release of macOS Catalina.
For those of us here on our 3rd or 4th version of Big Sur it's kind of old news but thats not to say that there may be plenty of users who are experiencing this radical change for the first time. If you do a search for articles about Apple splitting Music into three seperate apps you will see how much general confusion this caused at the time.
Anyway well done working it out and don't stop posting stuff.

Reaction score
My problem is that synchronizing gets stuck every couple of days and I can't even shut down my Mac, because finder is busy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
My problem is that synchronizing gets stuck every couple of days and I can't even shut down my Mac, because finder is busy.
You can Force Quit Finder, if you want to restart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.