Switching To Apple

G

G_Force

Wow, quite a generic title, eh?

Anyways, I'm considering switching. I have weight a lot of pros and cons, and I am still not sure what I want to do. I was just wondering if some of you could give me input on what yor really like/dislike about OSX (Specifically 10.3, or the OS in general). I don't quite have the money yet, but through working and other means (outdated link removed) I may buy one in early 2004, if I decide that is what I want to do.

Well, let me tell you about myself and maybe you can help me decide...
I'm a student in Oshkosh, WI, and I have been a windows user all of my life. Last year I started an independent study (working on my school's web site) with a teacher of mine. He introduced me to OSX. Prior to OSX, I had hated all Macs. With a passion. As I started to use the operating system, it kind of grew on me, and as I read more about it, and learned more, it seemed to me that it would be a better choice. Also, I plan to have a dual boot laptop with linux on one partition.

I lost my english paper today. Windows ate it.

Overall, I'm still undecided, so if you guy could give me the pros/cons, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-G

OP
F

Fomer

If I was you I would go with the new Ibook g4 14". You will love OS X 3, what I love about it compared to Windows world. Easy, stable, fast, look, everything. Bad.... well really nothing. :) I have no complaints what so ever about my Powerbook. (same as you I hated macs, had never used one had Windows computers for 8 years) I think its the best choice for someone in college.

OP
G

G_Force

I'm in high school, but thanks for the compliment. I'm actually looking at the $1100 12" iBook, because I can't afford much more. Didn't you notice I had to start my own charity... I am so completely sick of windows... the truth is I already made up my mind and I want to buy an iBook, but i'm promoting my "charity." Sorry.

Anywho... I am applying at a local restaurant this weekend and christmas is right aroudn the corner, so maybe this iBook isn't that far off. We'll see i guess.

-G

OP
G

G_Force

Ok, now I have a question...

On the apple site, it says that educational discounts are available to students, but when I go to select my school, it states that the discounts are only for school district workers. Is there a student discount? How do I use it?

-G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im not sure on the apple site, but I know that a lot of people really like http://www.edu.com

OP
J

JazzTrpt

G_Force said:
Ok, now I have a question...

On the apple site, it says that educational discounts are available to students, but when I go to select my school, it states that the discounts are only for school district workers. Is there a student discount? How do I use it?

-G

I believe that you can only get a discount as a student if you are in college. Doesn't work for high school. Sorry!

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

Good luck with your charity and all.

And about OS X, there is nothing wrong with it, except it doesn't have all the Windows games. Other than that it is perfectly perfect as can perfectly be. I got 10.3 nearly 2 weeks ago now, and it has become an integral part of my lifestyle. Exposé is a wonderful feature, as is Safari, Mail, iChat, Sherlock, and iTunes. You will love your iBook when you get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I think on Apple's site they have student discounts for k-12... not sure :shrugs:

Good luck on getting your iBook. You might also try and search places like eBay or something for a nice Dual G4 Tower or something?

sKaD

p.s. k, I had a 1.33 in my bank account, donated a $1. I'm such a nice guy :rolleyes: :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.