Swapping processor trays

Reaction score
I have a mid-2010 Mac Pro tower that was running pretty slow until I swapped processor trays with a faster Mac Pro of the same year, and now it has much better performance and I'm happy with it.

Now I have a chance to buy another mid-2010 Mac Pro off our local Craigslist, and I thought I might get it as a backup to the one I'm using, so that if mine ever goes down I could just move its processor tray, drives, and memory into the backup Mac (assuming it wasn't the processor that failed).

My question is, do all these mid-2010 Macs have the ability to swap processor trays, or only certain models?

This local seller is offering a mid-2010 Mac Pro with 48 GB of RAM, 7 TB of storage, along with a 30-inch Apple monitor, for $300. Of course, I don't really need the memory or storage, since the Mac I'm using has more than that, and I could swap the chips and the drive over along with the processor tray.

But again, would a processor tray swap be possible with any mid-2010 Mac Pro? And by the way, is this a pretty good price for such a Mac and monitor?

Thanks for any advice,

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And by the way, is this a pretty good price for such a Mac and monitor?

Assuming that you are in the U.S., here's an eBay list of similar models that actually sold and the listed selling price, just for some comparison pricing:

I'm sorry but I cannot answer your other questions. Maybe there's a Mac Pro forums site out there somewhere that might have some answers for your questions???

Maybe try:

And some interesting info here whether you can use it or not I'm not sure:

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the links to the mid-2010 Mac Pros on Ebay, Patrick. Looking at the ones for sale on Ebay, it seems like it might be possible for me get an empty tower just like the one I have, to swap my stuff into (if I ever have to) for less money than this local seller is asking on Craigslist. The big 30-inch monitor he's including with his Mac might make it a good deal, but I'm still wondering whether the processor trays would swap.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but I'm still wondering whether the processor trays would swap.

Check out the other links I provided and there just might be some information there that you can use, or some might lead you to other sources of information that you could use or maybe be helpful.

- Patrick
=======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is, do all these mid-2010 Macs have the ability to swap processor trays, or only certain models?
Just as an FYI in case you weren't aware.

Many "mid-2010" Mac Pro's floating around out there are actually 2009 Mac Pro's with upgraded firmware...and when you do an "About This Mac" check...a firmware upgraded 2009 Mac Pro will identify as a 2010 Mac Pro. Thus be super sure what you have & maybe what you get is actually a REAL mid-2010 Mac Pro.

This is very important since while a mid-2010 or 2012 Mac Pro CPU/RAM tray will fit into a 2009 Mac Pro...the fans will run at 100% due some differences. The important thing is...make super sure the Mac Pro is actually an original mid-2010 (or 2012) Mac Pro...and not a firmware upgraded 2009 Mac Pro.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is very important since while a mid-2010 or 2012 Mac Pro CPU/RAM tray will fit into a 2009 Mac Pro...the fans will run at 100% due some differences.

I find it quite amazing that some of you Mac Guru Techs have so many details of the various quirks that so many Mac machine models might have when some mods might be attempted.

That is a lot of extra information that is so valuable to many and greatly appreciated I am sure.

- Patrick
=======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have 5 older Mac Pro's floating around my place at the moment:

* one 2006 [1,1]
* two 2008's [3,1]
* one 2010 [5,1]
* one 2012 [5,1]

...and I used to have a 2009 [4,1]. Thus these details are sort of fresh in my mind.:)

Great to have a diversity of members here...almost always someone with current/recent knowledge of many models past & present. And knowledge of watch-outs (in case there are any).:)

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.