Supposedly permanently deleted contacts have reappeared after iOS 8 restore

Reaction score
Hi there,

I wanted to know whether anybody else has encountered this issue on their iPhones or whether it's just mine. Basically after restoring IOS 8 due to an endless loop with the Apple logo screen after resetting my iPhone 4S due to a really bad laggy issues after upgrading from IOS 7.1.2, I re-imported all the contacts from the sim using the option from the Mail and Contacts section of the Settings section and all contacts I supposedly permanently deleted have reappeared on the phone again with some of the contacts reverting to their old numbers, I can confirm these contacts aren't on the sim and are up-to-date as I temporarily placed the sim into another phone whilst I was getting the power button fixed at a local mobile shop, if the contacts aren't stored on the sim then where are they coming from? Your help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

RocknRollTim

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
if the contacts aren't stored on the sim then where are they coming from? Your help would be much appreciated.

Possibly they're being automatically synced from your Mac through iCloud. Check your contacts app and your iCloud settings in System Preferences, iCloud.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi chscag,

Thanks for getting back to me on my forum thread and sorry for taking the time in getting back to you.

I managed to resolve the problem using the suggestion you suggested and it worked like a treat, I first turned on Contacts in Settings > iCloud on my iPhone, merged all contacts, deleted each contact individually and re-imported the ones of the sim by going to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Import SIM Contacts.

The contacts from iCloud must have been there since I activated this feature on IOS 5 3 years ago without me realising and thought I deleted all data from the cloud as normally sync my data to the PC using iTunes due to no storage capacity limitations.

Many thanks,

RocknRollTim

P.S. No one hasn't answered my thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/315710-add-ios-device-my-support-profile-manage-devices-sections.html, would it be possible for someone to answer this for me as well?

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
"Once you complete the backup, go back to your iPhone. Tap “Settings” -> “General” -> “Reset”. Select “Erase All Content and Settings” and tap “Erase iPhone” to confirm. You will see an Apple logo and a progress bar during the data removal process. Once completed, all the data on your iPhone are erased.
But this way doesn't permanently erase iPhone data, to permanently erase iPhone deleted data,read this article: How to Erase iPhone Data without restore"

Thank you for your suggestion honneiyan but I no longer have the devices to hand anymore, thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.