SuperDuper Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
I have searched and couldn't find the clarification I was looking for on a couple of questions...

I have a WD 80GB Passport External Hardrive. If I buy the full version of SuperDuper, I can make a carbon copy for my entire 80GB hard drive from my macbook onto it?

And if my computer gets stolen, lost, broken, etc...I can plug in my External Hardrive to a new macbook and hold the option key and boot from that hardrive and have the same exact computer of the one I lost?

Could I then migrate all of that to a new macbook and have a replica of my old system with very little work?

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yes, yes and yes.

1) You can actually do this without the full version - but you'll have to do a full backup each time - no "smart" backups (so it'll copy the full 80 GB each time you run it).

2 & 3) Yeah, just boot off the external drive and run Superduper again, just select the opposite drives. (external copies to the internal)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Superduper rocks!!

Give it a try!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
I'm using Superduper, and it does rock, but I'm having problems with scheduling. My scheduled backups never run. And everything seems so simple, I can't imagine where I'm screwing up.

cheers

Reaction score
I think carbon copy cloner does the same thing and is free, but I've only used Superduper (free)

M

MacHeadCase

Another vote for SuperDuper here. I had come across a head to head comparison between SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner, Apple's Backup and another backup software (can't remember the name) and SuperDuper! came up on top with the least dropped files.

I use it every time there is an OS update, I backup all my files to a 500GB external: once that's done, I unplug all my peripherals (except mouse and keyboard) and then install the update.

I haven't had any problems, but if ever I did, the clone that SuperDuper! makes is bootable so it would be no problem to start from the external or revert to before- the-update state if need be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.