Stupid question of the day, headphones/speakers control?

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me believe there isn't a button somewhere on my iMAC that where I can have head phones plugged in, and simply hit this button to allow someone in the room to hear through the speakers of my MAC without unplugging the head phones. This seems pretty darn simple to me, am dreaming?

Brian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you wanting to quickly switch between headphones and speakers or have sound come from both simultaneously?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Are you wanting to quickly switch between headphones and speakers or have sound come from both simultaneously?

@ Brian - as posed by Slydude, I'm assuming that you want to hear the sound on your phones & through the speakers at the same time - correct?

If so, I believe that the internal sound is muted if a headphone jack is plugged in, like a standard stereo receiver (at least mine) - there may be a third party 'hardware' work around but I've not needed that setup - some discussion HERE - let us know if you find a solution or hopefully others will chime in w/ some suggestions - Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah I want to be able to listen to both, through the headphones and the speakers instead of unplugging the headphones over and over and over. Just leave them plugged in and when someone wants to hear something simply turn on the speakers leaving the head phones plugged in.

This seems like an incredibly simple concept that they don't see a need for?

Brian

Reaction score
The whole point of using headphones is to not bother other people.
What you want would be defeating the purpose of headphones.

OP
M
Reaction score
The whole point of using headphones is to not bother other people.
What you want would be defeating the purpose of headphones.

You are very right, that is the reason, but what is the volume for, why isn't the speaker volume on wide open all the time, because there is a need to lower it, why is there a mute button? Because there is a need to mute it so no one hears it. So there are these controls which change for different people doing different things. How about if I was near deaf and needed the head phones but the rest of the room would like to hear the speakers but not on too loud?

This isn't my issue with the computer but I have bad hearing and I have thought about getting some sort of wireless headphone for the tv. That way it could be on just loud enough for the rest of the room yet I could have a "speaker" in my ear that would help me hear it.

These computers have settings MANY, MANY settings that 90% of the users will never need, never know they exist, yet 10% of the users will find them perfect for their needs and change them. We all aren't the same.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

These computers have settings MANY, MANY settings that 90% of the users will never need, never know they exist, yet 10% of the users will find them perfect for their needs and change them. We all aren't the same.

Brian - sorry, but 'ranting & raving' here will not provide a solution - this forum has no relationship to Apple so your words of anger are simply falling on deaf ears - we are all volunteers simply trying to help fellow members, so these non-constructive posts are of little use. :)

A possible solution is shown below, i.e. a stereo splitter adapter (I use one on my iPad in airports so my wife & I can watch movies or listen to music together) - this would attach to the headphone output of your iMac, then allow headphones to be plugged into one of the cables and a small set of inexpensive powered speakers plugged into the other; volume adjustments would alter the levels independently. About all that I can offer that would be relatively inexpensive (and you may already have a set of external computer speakers?) - good luck. Dave

71zLhAg-rSL._SL1500_.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah I want to be able to listen to both, through the headphones and the speakers instead of unplugging the headphones over and over and over. Just leave them plugged in and when someone wants to hear something simply turn on the speakers leaving the head phones plugged in.

This seems like an incredibly simple concept that they don't see a need for?

Brian

I'm not sure why you are confused by this. I think that EVERY electronic device I have ever owned since the 1970's worked this way.

Whenever something is plugged into the audio-out/headphone jack…it cuts off or mutes the audio output to the built in speakers. The concept is personal entertainment vs. group entertainment.

If everyone in the room wants to hear what's going on…then you unplug the headphones. If you only want to hear what's going on…and don't want to disturb anyone else in the room (maybe there're watching TV in the same room)…then you plug the headphones in.

Yes…what you describe could be done…it's not impossible. But the vast vast vast majority of people don't need it…or want it. The average person does not need or want to be able to listen to something thru headphones & the built-in speakers at the same time.

If you want to momentarily share something you're listening to…then you have to do what you are doing…unplug the headphones. And if you need to frequently share something…then jeez…just leave the headphones unplugged!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I use an audio mixer to achieve something along those lines. I have my Mac mini, audio interface and PC plugged into it, it then goes to a stereo receiver. I have my headphones plugged into the HP output on the mixer. If I want to use headphones, I turn the mains down and the HP up, or vice versa to come through the speakers...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I use an audio mixer to achieve something along those lines. I have my Mac mini, audio interface and PC plugged into it, it then goes to a stereo receiver. I have my headphones plugged into the HP output on the mixer. If I want to use headphones, I turn the mains down and the HP up, or vice versa to come through the speakers...

Yes…it certainly can be done (sounds like you have at least 4 pieces of electronics there).:) Sounds like you're patching the Mac-Mini's sound output (from the headphone jack) with an audio cable…and feeding that into your other devices.

I have a feeling that this setup is a bit more than the OP wants with their iMac.;) If not…then the OP has a solution!:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I recall correctly this is possible but needs a little trickery. There are some ways using Audio Hijack which should work. This solution might work as well using software already on the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.