Stumped - iPhone 5c (ios 8.1) not syncing with iTunes 11.4

Reaction score
Hello all, I've searched and found similar problems to this, but no clear answers.

Just yesterday I finally got an iphone 5c. Set it up with no hassle at all. I've used apple products for years (macbook/ipod/ipad) but this is my first smart phone. Unfortunately, it absolutely refuses under all circumstances to sync with my itunes . The phone is recognized immediately, I can select what I'd like to sync, but the sync button remains greyed out.

I have an older (~2008) Macbook running OS 10.6.8. The phone shipped with ios 8, and I upgraded to 8.1. Itunes is 11.4, which is the farthest I can upgrade on my mac. Also, 0% of my music was purchased on itunes (mostly bandcamp albums), so there's that.

The iphone DOES sync with my girlfriend's mac, a new pro w/ retina running itunes 12.1. Is it really just a matter of the Iphone or OS being incompatible with my current version of itunes, which i'm stuck with?

I've done the following troubleshooting:

Restarted both devices, signed out of/into both devices, turned on syncing over wifi, re-authorized itunes on the macbook, moved my music files from itunes library elsewhere and back, etc. Having music on my phone is really REALLY important to me, so any help would be appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iphone DOES sync with my girlfriend's mac, a new pro w/ retina running itunes 12.1. Is it really just a matter of the Iphone or OS being incompatible with my current version of itunes, which i'm stuck with?

According to this article it should sync: LINK It may be that you're running Snow Leopard which is why it's not syncing.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.