Stuffit crashes!

M

mo'data

Business as usual today, cruizin along, go to decompress a file and BAM!
the **** thing just bounces...........forever! Fixed disk permissions, no help. Un installed then reinstalled, no help!

So what the heck! I don't know what else to do. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
open terminal in utilities, copy and paste this in:
defaults write com.stuffit.Expander allowVersionChecking -bool NO
and hit enter or return, quit terminal and see if it fixes the problem, I think it will.

OP
M

mo'data

Macman said:
open terminal in utilities, copy and paste this in:
and hit enter or return, quit terminal and see if it fixes the problem, I think it will.

Holy heck!! It worked! :eek:
Thank you. I appreciate the help! While I like to think I know a thing or two, I get totally stumped on a small prob like this..

Don't know much but I love my mac!!!

You got one for drop stuff too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I had the same problem. If I waited long enough the application would open. The problem is, Expander is checking the Allume site for updates and can't get through (or is very slow doing so). The same problem exist in DropStuff and Stuffit Deluxe.

If you have the same problem in DropStuff or Stuffit Deluxe use the text that Macman provided and replace "Expander" with the name of the problem app. (ie, DropStuff or Deluxe)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if drop stuff is having issues, try deleting its preferences, also, try opening it and leave it alone til it opens, when it does, open its preferences and set it not to check for updates.
and delete the preferences called com.stuffit.engine.plist in the preferences folder along with drop stuffs preferences.

OP
M

mo'data

After opening Dropstuff it would bounce and eventually stop, but the window would not appear! I replaced the text Expander with Dropstuff and that seemed to solve the problem!!

If it's not too much to ask? What may have been the problem and how does using the terminal correct these issues??? In a nutshell.

Thanks both of you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the problem is that its set by default to check for updates at start up of the app, they took that site down, so theres nothing to check on, and it causes stuffit related apps to hang and not open. there are a few ways to fix it, terminal makes it really easy.

OP
M

mo'data

Macman said:
the problem is that its set by default to check for updates at start up of the app, they took that site down, so theres nothing to check on, and it causes stuffit related apps to hang and not open. there are a few ways to fix it, terminal makes it really easy.

I see! you have been a tremendous help!

Reaction score
mo'data said:
I see! you have been a tremendous help!

Open a terminal and paste in this line, problem solved:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does anyone know why they took down the update site? I know they got bought out by Allume.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
They took down the update site?

But they didn't get bought out by Allume, they changed their name to Allume due to legal trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
How about those two files that Photoshop downloads right at the beginning.. anyway of stopping it from doing that? It freezes Photoshop as it's starting once in awhile if it's having problems downloading them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
How about those two files that Photoshop downloads right at the beginning.. anyway of stopping it from doing that? It freezes Photoshop as it's starting once in awhile if it's having problems downloading them...
this is the first Im hearing of this. have you been sniffing the old potions murlyn?
lol, Im just kidding, really sorry, couldnt help it, you know, murlysn(the magician).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
heh no potions, sorry.. ugh man that thing annoys me.. it's PS 7 and everytime I start it up it downloads 2 files off the adobe site.. Ill do some more research :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.