Stuck on orange boot screen Mac Pro 3,1

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Mac Pro 3,1 and I have had no issues in the past year with it. Today I went to boot it up and it booted onto this orange screen with a glitched logo. I force powered it off and then booted it up again and it worked. About 30 mins later one monitor went grey and the other went brown and it rebooted. Now every time I boot it up I get that s glitched orange screen. Is this my graphics card? Do I need to replace it? (I got a new 3gb gfx card (refurbished) to replace the 256mb gfx card) here's a link to the boot screen: http://imgur.com/sRefkFu
Any help is much appreciated, thanks

EDIT: I have tried Command + Option + P + R and it fixed the orange but the apple logo remained glitched and it still was stuck on the boot screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sure look like the gfx card.

That model came originally with an ATI Radeon HD 2600XT, or a nVidia 8800GT or a nVidia Quadro FX 5600, the better card. You will do better with a Mac Pro card, second choice a flashed PC card, and perhaps a PC card will work directly. I would remove whatever card you have installed, give the gold contacts a clean, an re-insert it firmly. If no joy try the card you purchased. Being 3GB it may need dualp[ower leads which connecvt to the mother board.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I have three questions:
1. What does "Flashed" mean, does it mean that you will see a boot screen?

2. If I use a PC gfx card will I not see a boot screen?

3. What should I clean the contact plates with? Is a paper towel fine or do I need some special thing?
Thanks for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.