Strange wifi issue

Reaction score
Hi.
I've got a wifi issue that I can not get my head around.
For the last 12 months ive been using a Huawei B535 232 router with a 4g, 3mobile, sim card. Average speed on all devices around 40mps. Then the lovely people at 3mobile put up a 5g tower close by so I got a new contract with a Huawei H112 370 router. Speeds are insane, over 600mbps on some days.
My phone, Samsung S20 gets fast speeds all over my home but my MacBook retina from 2015 is only getting around 6mps!!!!! It has worked fine on occasions. I've tried re-setting the router, I've removed the router from saved devices on the mac and reconnected. Yesterday i hit 'Renew DHCP Lease' in system preference and that seemed to work but only for that time.
I had a 3 day overlap with the 4g and 5g routers, still getting around 40mbps on 4g but only 5 or 6mbps on the 5g router with my macbook.
Any advice gratefully accepted and thanks in advance. I hope ive been clear.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you know how to enter the router firmware setup menu? If you have a Huawei manual or PDF instructions, you can learn how from that.

You need to access the router and make sure it's setup correctly. You may have to contact your ISP and ask for assistance.

You also should check your network settings on your MBP. System Preferences, Network.

4G and 5G speeds and access are mostly related to phone usage (iPhone or Android) and really do not matter to your MacBook Pro. But it does sound like something is not setup correctly.

OP
D
Reaction score
Do you know how to enter the router firmware setup menu? If you have a Huawei manual or PDF instructions, you can learn how from that.

You need to access the router and make sure it's setup correctly. You may have to contact your ISP and ask for assistance.

You also should check your network settings on your MBP. System Preferences, Network.

4G and 5G speeds and access are mostly related to phone usage (iPhone or Android) and really do not matter to your MacBook Pro. But it does sound like something is not setup correctly.

thanks chscag.

I just contacted apple help chat, i explained everything and the agent adised this solution.
1 Open System Preferences > Network.
2 On the 'Locations' drop down, select 'Edit Locations'.
• Note: If the Network pane is locked, you must unlock it first.
3 Click the '+' button to create a new location.
4 Give the new location a name and click 'Done'.
5 Make sure the new location is selected in the 'Locations' drop down menu and click 'Apply'.

I tried this and its seems to have done the trick :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. HAPPY DAYS.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks chscag.

so apple helpline suggested I change the location within wifi settings, this worked while i was online to them but pretty much straight afterwards it went back to slow slow speed!!!!!! grrrrrrr

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tracking down slow WiFi problems can be frustrating.

Try this: Open System Preferences, Network, Advanced.

Select the DNS tab. It's very likely that the DNS settings here are ones provided by your ISP. You don't have to use them and can insert others.

Remove the DNS setting that's there and insert this setting:

This setting is the CloudFlare DNS open to the public and is very fast.

DNS is just one of many settings that can impact on speed (how fast a URL loads). There are other settings also. Most of them are located within the firmware of your router. Which is why I suggested being able to enter the router firmware menu settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Select the DNS tab. It's very likely that the DNS settings here are ones provided by your ISP. You don't have to use them and can insert others.

Remove the DNS setting that's there and insert this setting:

This setting is the CloudFlare DNS open to the public and is very fast.

And one can scan for others to use based on their speed using Namebench.app that should still work:

Or maybe try some other suggestions at:

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.