Strange Random Sounds

Reaction score
Please help me solve this mystery that has been driving me crazy for months!

Out of nowhere, with no changes to my hardware, or any new software added, about 8-9 months ago my Mac Pro Quad (10.6.8) started making these two sounds randomly throughout the day...

http://www.insidenm.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Odd-Mac-Sounds.mp3

They occur at random times about 6-12 times a day (the first sound seems to be a little more common) and are completely unrelated to what I am doing at the time. One of these sounds (don't recall which one) occured while my system was not connected to the internet.

Anyone know what the heck is going on?

Len

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What apps do you have running normally? That sound comes from someone signing in and out of apps like Adium or whatever..

Reaction score
Ashwin I'm assuming there was a post there somewhere?
When I first got my iMac I would occasionally hear singing and voices coming out of it in Spanish.
I always assumed it was somehow picking up a local radio station in the audio.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, I can't see my original post either. Strange. Here is the link to the sounds I recorded that my Mac is making at seemingly random times throughout the day (in fact, it just made the first sound twice and the second one once while I was typing this paragraph)...

http://www.insidenm.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Odd-Mac-Sounds.mp3

RazorEdge – that's what I thought at first, too. It sounds like a sign-in/sign-out indicator. However, it has made this sound even when my Mac was not connected to the internet. The software that I usually have active throughout the day are:

Word 2008
Excel 2008
Mac Mail (4.6)
FileMaker Pro 7
AppleWorks 6
TextEdit (1.6)
Amadeus Pro (audio editor)
PageSender (for receiving faxes)

Safari, Firefox, and Skype are usually open as well, but as I said, it's made these sounds with the internet cable disconnected. It also makes no difference which software I am using at the moment. It appears to be completely unrelated to my activity.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, I can't see my original post either.

Both posts are now visible. They were put in moderation because of the links.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.