strange mac sound driving me nuts!

Reaction score
I have had this noise coming from my mac mini forever! it drives me nuts!

If you know what it is you are a genius and I would love you forever, please help.

swoosh sound (outdated link removed)

OP
B
Reaction score
more info: it will do it even when I mute and turn off my speakers. Coming from internal speaker?

help :}

Reaction score
A swoosh sound usually means that your e-mail has been successfully sent by Apple's Mail.

If that's not it, it would help to know when, exactly, it usually happens; what you have open at the time; and a better description of the sound would also be very helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have had this noise coming from my mac mini forever! it drives me nuts!

Are you sure it is actually coming from your Mac Mini???

Do you have any other peripherals plugged in that are close by???

How often does it occur???

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Nothing else plugged in (except speakers via the headphone jack port) and a samsung 50 inch tv for a monitor via hdmi
100% coming from the mac mini. Even with the external speakers powered off and the sound muted, tv off. Nothing running on the mac, all browsers closed.

It is very random, on average it happens about about every 2 minutes or so. Sometimes it will do a few closer together. I cant recreate it. I went thru all of my audio files. It drives me nuts because I have to power down when I go to bed because it drives me nuts.

OP
B
Reaction score
A swoosh sound usually means that your e-mail has been successfully sent by Apple's Mail.

If that's not it, it would help to know when, exactly, it usually happens; what you have open at the time; and a better description of the sound would also be very helpful.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have never used the mac mail and never set it up. I played the audio file via the finder for the mail sent and sadly that is not it.
I wish there was a exactly, but it is very random. Nothing running, or with everything running. The timing is very random.

It is swoosh kinda sound, the clicking you hear in the audio file is me clicking the mouse to try to make the sound appear. I dont need to do anything for the sound to appear tho.

click here to hear the sound (outdated link removed)

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It is swoosh kinda sound, the clicking you hear in the audio file is me clicking the mouse to try to make the sound appear. I dont need to do anything for the sound to appear tho.

There are several long threads over at the MacRumors Forum about similiar noises that you're hearing. The swoosh noise sounds very much like "coil whine". Coil Whine is an electronic noise given off by certain components in computers. Most notably the Apple 16" MacBook Pro (not all of them) gives off a swooshing sound very similiar to what you're hearing.

I've never heard of a Mac Mini giving off "coil whine" but I wouldn't rule that out either. If it is "coil whine", there isn't anything you can do about it. The sound circuits have no control over that. The only way to get rid of it is to get rid of the Mini or ignore the sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What model year is the Mini? What macOS is it running?

OP
B
Reaction score
There are several long threads over at the MacRumors Forum about similiar noises that you're hearing. The swoosh noise sounds very much like "coil whine". Coil Whine is an electronic noise given off by certain components in computers. Most notably the Apple 16" MacBook Pro (not all of them) gives off a swooshing sound very similiar to what you're hearing.

I've never heard of a Mac Mini giving off "coil whine" but I wouldn't rule that out either. If it is "coil whine", there isn't anything you can do about it. The sound circuits have no control over that. The only way to get rid of it is to get rid of the Mini or ignore the sound.

Hi, sadly not the col whine. it is definitely a audio file of some sort. It is the same length in time and sounds the same every time. And very random but frequent.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
more info: it will do it even when I mute and turn off my speakers. Coming from internal speaker?
Two thoughts:

1. If you have external speakers attached...I would disconnect/unplug them temporarily...and make sure you have the volume turned all the way down/muted (so that nothing comes from the internal speaker).

Doing this will eliminate any chance the sound is anything to do with the external speakers...or eliminate any chance of a settings issue between the external speakers & internal speaker.

2. Run the computer from a different drive or different partition with a different install of the macOS. This will test if something got purposely or accidentally installed within the current macOS install.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It drives me nuts because I have to power down when I go to bed because it drives me nuts.

Does the sound occur if you just put your Mac Mini into Sleep mode???

Just for a diagnosis attempt, do you still get the sound if you boot your Mac Mini up into Safe Boot Mode???
Start up your Mac in safe mode

Do you use any Mac Fan Control utility??? If so, have you tried changing any or all of its optional settings???

Try changing your System Preferences > Energy Saver for anything to do with wake or sleep for your drive or Network.
Are you using a spinner hard drive or solid state drive???

+1 for Nick's suggestion #2 in his #11 post above. Definitely worth a try.

it is definitely a audio file of some sort. It is the same length in time and sounds the same every time. And very random but frequent.

Actually, to me it sounds like a cooling fan's noise suddenly trying to adjust to try a different speed and then back to normal. But that doesn't make sense if you're not even using the computer. So hmmm... ????? The search and cause continues... 😏

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.