Strange behavior with Standby

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hmm, that's strange that it went dark when it got brighter. Mine dumped the red color and when all white, which is its daytime motif.

That's because you didn't follow protocol Jake, and go to the bathroom every 3 hours:wink:rofl:giggle

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hmm, that's strange that it went dark when it got brighter. Mine dumped the red color and when all white, which is its daytime motif.
I thought so too. I had to tap it to wake it up and it went to the daytime/non-red clock.

Lisa

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The red/not-red is not a timed thing, it's based on the environmental light level. If I turn on the lamp on the nightstand, the face goes to the white until I turn the light off again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did understand the red/not red was a room light thing. I still think there is a glitch in the app but for now I like it. I did notice that if I had notifications on they would appear and stay until I swiped them up - all of them!

Lisa

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE: This week it worked properly Monday, Tuesday nights, then failed totally Wednesday and Thursday nights and worked last night. Totally random, as much as I can tell. Whenit doesn't work, nothing seems to get it going, including rebooting the iPhone. However, on Thursday night it would not work, but then in the morning it was in Standby.

It's just not working correctly at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It's just not working correctly at all.

And no doubt, that's after all the iOS 17 updates as well.

And I'm sure you have done and tried all the suggestions with no success:

Such as:

And it seems a lot of other users are also suffering from the same problem as well as some others::

That would certainly be annoying to have the future working so inconsistently and for no apparent reason.

- Patrick
=======

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And no doubt, that's after all the iOS 17 updates as well.

And I'm sure you have done and tried all the suggestions with no success:

Such as:

And it seems a lot of other users are also suffering from the same problem as well as some others::

That would certainly be annoying to have the future working so inconsistently and for no apparent reason.

- Patrick
=======
It's new, and like things new, it need tuning. The biggest hassle is that it works all day, but then when I go to bed, with nothing changed, it sometimes doesn't work. But then it does.

Intermittent bugs are very hard to isolate, so Apple is going to have to put some work into it.

None of what that article says to do makes a difference. When it refuses to start, it REFUSES to start. (the caps were deliberate).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The biggest hassle is that it works all day, but then when I go to bed, with nothing changed, it sometimes doesn't work. But then it does.

Well, I guess that's sort of halfway through solving a particular feature software bug is that at least it works during the day, and I guess you could solve the other half of the problem by not going to bed. :D

I guess you could possibly help Apple solve the problem by letting them know what you have discovered in your situation by sending them a report of your findings and discovery.

- Patrick
=======

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have any findings or discovery to share, Patrick. It seems to be totally random, except that I've never had it not work in the daytime, and it does NOT work randomly in the evening. I turned off Do Not Disturb and Focus, just case suppressing notifications, etc., during the night was preventing it from working, and that made no difference. The ONLY thing I can't control is the brighness of the room and the toggle of the display from white to red. But I did try it in a dark room in the middle of the day and it worked to go to the red face, but again, that's no proof of anything because it's random. I'm trying to find a pattern, but I just don't see one. I can't even guarantee that it won't fail in the day/bright, even though it hasn't YET.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never use Standby during the day. I put my phone on its mag charger at night and it goes into standby mode red color after 2 minutes. I will disclose I play an audio book for about 30 minutes when I go to bed one I have already heard so if I go to sleep when it is playing I haven't missed anything! The clock will stay on and show the red color the whole time it plays and a little - what do I call it - white audio indicator will be at the top/side center of the clock. I can touch it and the controller for audible will show and then I can swipe up to go back to clock all while on the charger. When the 30 minutes are over the audio fades and eventually the clock goes to black. If I wake and touch the screen the clock appears. That behavior is consistent. I also shut off notifications while in standby because if one came in it would stay and not fade, never going back to the clock until I swiped the notice up.

I wish the clock would stay lit all night but I can't get it to do that.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have any findings or discovery to share, Patrick.

I was thinking you at least found some things to possibly lead to reducing some deductions.

Anyway, good luck sleuthing and do you have any other iDevice you could try using the feature with?

- Patrick
=======

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never use Standby during the day. I put my phone on its mag charger at night and it goes into standby mode red color after 2 minutes.
I have an Anker MagSafe charging stand on my desk, where I put my iPhone when I'm working. I flip it horizontal to serve as clock/thermometer for me there. Then I have a second similar stand on my nightstand to do the same thing. And before anybody asks, yes, I have swapped the stands and it made no difference, so that's not it, AFAIK.
The clock will stay on and show the red color the whole time it plays and a little - what do I call it - white audio indicator will be at the top/side center of the clock. I can touch it and the controller for audible will show and then I can swipe up to go back to clock all while on the charger.
Yep, when on my desk I have it stream a music site (ClassicFM) and I know the little icon you mentioned. The ClassicFM (GlobalPlayer) app comes up when I tap the icon and I can stop/restart the stream and adjust volume and a swipe up takes me back to the clock, just as you said.
Yep, me, too. But it just takes a tap on the nightstand to toggle it back on for a short time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

A quick trip to the App Store should fix that:
Always on Display Clock 4+ - App Store
The Always on Display Clock app keeps the phone's display on and shows a clock on it. If you always require to look at a clock while working or you want to see the time easily when you wake-up from sleep without unlocking your mobile then this app is useful for you.Dec 22, 2022

Apple always seems to manage how to screw up the iOS Clock and how it displays somehow.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A quick trip to the App Store should fix that:

- Patrick
=======
That app talks about using Guided Access, refers to needing a passcode and seems to have mixed reviews. I will stick with tapping the screen to have it come back on. It is not that big a deal

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nite Time works for me.

It would be interesting to know why and what the difference is between the hardware and the software differences and/or settings of the theoretically similar/identical iPhones.

- Patrick
=======

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE: It failed to go to Standby at 11 pm when I went to bed. I was awakened by a noise at 4:30 AM, and when I came back from investigating it, it entered Standby just fine. Really weird.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE on Standby: Called Apple. Been a LOOOOOONG day sorting out the impacts of that.

1. Called about Standby. Got asked lots of questions (what iphone, what version iOS, was the battery charged/charging, was I using cable or Magsafe). Answered the questions, 15 Pro, 17.1.1, yes, Magsafe. Then got asked for the firmware version of Magsafe. (What? What has that to do with it?) Second level Tech said he didn't know but it was one of the questions on his checklist. I told him I had the puck, but didn't use it because I had a third-party stand from Anker and had swapped it out, along with the attached power cable and wallwart (both Apple) with no difference. Still wanted firmware version. Got out the puck, plugged it in and got the version (connect the puck to power and then to the iPhone, wait up to 5 minutes, it's on Settings>General>About). Version was 258.0.0.0, latest is 275.0.0.0, but that doesn't matter because I'm not using the puck. Curiously, to update firmware, connect it to the iPhone and wait until it updates, eventually. I didn't wait.

Tech finally got to the end of his list, all of which I had already tried, and the last item was to Reset all Settings (Settings>General>Transfer or Reset iPhone>Reset>Reset All Settiings). Cue ominous music. I told the tech I really, really didn't want to do that because of the hassle it creates, but he said that was the last item on his checklist and that if that didn't work, he'd have to get logs, etc, for escalation. I've done that escalation thing with other issues and I know that it's a black hole at that point so I agreed to the reset. It also hung up the phone as it rebooted the phone, so the Tech hung up and said to call back if it didn't work.

Did the reset. iPhone rebooted OK. Standby seems to work, but then again, it's an intermittent and unreproducible problem so who knows, right? But the reset killed the connection to my Watch, emptied the Wallet on both iPhone and Watch, signed me out of iCloud, killed the Unlock Mac with Watch. OK, Logged back into my wifi network, then logged into iCloud, reentered credit cards to iPhone, and then again to Watch (Why can't the Phone just send them to the Watch automatically?). Noticed that in Home none of my automation devices were showing as connected. Did some digging, found that none of the controllers were showing as available, which was probably because I had reset the settings.

Noted the iPhone wasn't paired with the AppleTV that is my Home Hub and controller. Tried to re-pair, got error code 6722. Did an internet search, lots of issues with 6722 with HomePod, some with iPhone, no solutions to iPhone. Hundreds of reports at discussions.apple.com about it. No solutions. Ugh!

Called Apple again, first tech sounded like she was in her kitchen (noisy, hollow, echos), and didn't seem to know what she was talking about. Thought AppleTV was an app, not a set-top box. Ended the call.

Called back later, got a better tech, nice lady that opened the case, saw the problem, connected to my iPhone to watch the screen, saw the 6722 error and started down her list. Halfway down was "Reset the router.) I pointed out that I was able to use the internet, all of my home devices were showing in the router software. Showed it to her, even, as she had remotely connected to my iPhone and could see the screen for herself. She agreed that it was improbable, but THE LIST is the list, so we reset the router. No change, except that now I didn't even get the screen to even start the pairing, much less the error code when it failed. The final entry on THE LIST was "Reset Apple TV set top box." Another thing I really didn't want to do, but gave it a go and, sure enough, that let my iPhone pair with the box and Home to connect to the hub! All is back, sort of. Jury still out on Standby.

Long post, but I just wanted to share the adventures down the rabbit hole if you decide to give it a go.

Bottom line: Apple will suggest you reset everything. Don't know if that makes any difference in Standby, but it can fill an otherwise quiet day with lots of reconnecting/login/re-setting up things.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bottom line: Apple will suggest you reset everything. Don't know if that makes any difference in Standby, but it can fill an otherwise quiet day with lots of reconnecting/login/re-setting up things.

I wonder if the senior Apple Techs will provide the Support Techs with an updated and modified Checklist with some other things to check in the near future, and I'm surprised that you still seem to have a fair bit of fondness for new Apple products. ;) :sd

I guess things have gone well past the old standard fix: Have you shut it down and restarted, fix.

BTW: is the problem somewhat common with other iPhones or is the problem just with your unit at this point? My apologies if I missed reading you having said so already, but I'm not going to reread all the posts up to this point regarding this particular subject thread. ;)

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.