stop popup

Reaction score
everytime i go to a torrent (kickass) site a pop up occurs usually mackeeper or 888bet.
running yosemite i though macs didnt get pop ups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh well torrents do that.

Download AdblockPlus and Ghostery into the Safari Extensions, and download AdwareMedic as you can be sure you will get adware and malware.

OP
S
Reaction score
why can you be sure i will get adware or malware
i never install just down load movies from legit sources

M

MacInWin

Popups are not viruses. Macs don't get VIRUSES, but popups are html, which is the language of browsers, so any browser can get popups. Torrents are notorious for requiring users to install software, which normally includes crapware that adds popups and makes them harder to stop. The three packages harry listed will clean your machine of the malware and stop the next one from succeeding.

And if you aren't paying for the movies, they are not coming from "legit sources," but thieves.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no such thing as "legit" and "free" theatrical, made for TV nor direct to disc/digital movies unless they are in the "Public Domain".

Most of those can be downloaded here - no torrent site required - and practically nothing made after the early 1950s is in the public domain at this time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@bobtomay Thanks for that site. I have a link to a similar site (name escapes me atm) but I had not seen this one.

OP
S
Reaction score
OK i did not mean to imply that downloading movies is not wrong, but if i am watching movies, but not installing software which i would not do, how can i get crapware?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
everytime i go to a torrent (kickass)

i never install just down load movies from legit sources
There's your problem - you're assuming that the site is safe when it's really not (90% of the Wikipedia article discusses its legal issues). Avoid illegal downloads and you should be fine.

OP
S
Reaction score
illegal movie downloads will NOT give me crapware.
maybe downloading and installing software will BUT i do not do that.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, yes it will. Torrents, the illegal variety, are widely known to be effective vehicles for the transmission of malware. If they themselves don't, the sites will (as evidenced by your post). Again, the easiest solution here is to run the software mentioned in harryb2448's post and avoid these sites altogether (if for nothing else than to avoid breaking the law). If you wish not to heed our cautions, which we provide with the best of intentions, so be it but then expect such nuisances again in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.