stop device removal nag screen from appearing?

Reaction score
I use alot of external hard drives, and I always forget to safely remove them, for I think USB was designed so that if I pull it out, nothing will go wrong. When I yank a usb cord out of my mac, the device removal screen always appears. Does anybody know how, through code or a program, to stop this screen from appearing?

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I don't mean to belittle your complaint, but I find swearing vigorously at the overly-precious MacOS to be soothing. I believe the USB warning to be part of the inner sanctum of the OS, but a script guru may have the answer. Nowadays I just shut down my Mac with USB peripherals still attached and then pull the plugs later or switch off the powered hubs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Why not just eject them?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is one of the eccentricities of Mac OS that you need to get used to. It really isn't safe to pull external hard drives out of a PC either, which is one of the reasons that there's a little icon down in your system tray called "Safely Remove Hardware" that is intended to fulfill the same function.

There are many times that read/write operations occur without your knowledge. Interrupting those operations can cause corruption and/or data loss. It may take time to get used to, but ejecting external drives first is always the safest way to do it on either platform - assuming you value your data.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...It really isn't safe to pull external hard drives out of a PC either, which is one of the reasons that there's a little icon down in your system tray called "Safely Remove Hardware" that is intended to fulfill the same function.

Yes it does have the feature but it's a lot more complicated and there are a lot more steps to eject it safely, plus it takes a lot longer to eject the USB device.

Mac makes it easy just drag to the trash and wait 2-5 seconds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.