• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Steven Hawking says " There is no heaven, is only a fairytale" !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I love a good fairy tale. Soothes the soul. Like Santa for adults!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Religion and politics... very touchy issues!
I'd like to see participants of this thread keep that respect for both sides, as I am interested to hear the different points of view, but I fear that it is 'screaming' for an invite for things to get heated IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
11 year old boy refuted Hawking
said he'd been to heaven when he was 3
accident almost killed him

Reaction score
When will people learn that debates about religion are fruitless because of the very nature of belief as an opinion that requires no empirical proof? You can discuss the influence of organized religion on society, government and morals but I can't see what else you can do without causing a deadly flame war that has no clear winners.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (mid 2010) OS 10.13.6
For those that might find it amusing, there is an 'organization' complete with web site and forum: "The Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic" and our motto is, "We don't know and we don't care"

*seriously, there is...*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Its a question of faith. I believe in God its religion I have a problem with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its a question of faith. I believe in God its religion I have a problem with.

Whenever I hear that, I interpret it to mean much the same as "I love mankind, it's people I can't stand!" In other words, people are imperfect, and they screw things up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Whenever I hear that, I interpret it to mean much the same as "I love mankind, it's people I can't stand!" In other words, people are imperfect, and they screw things up.

Very true. There's not a good idea we can't screw up if given enough rope.

Reaction score
Well, what Mr. Hawkins wants to believe is totally up to him. Personally he seems to be upset with life and his unfortunate condition. Its natural to be upset due to personal misfortune, but just because you choose not to believe in something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are many things in this world and the universe that I haven't seen nor will ever see, yet it doesn't give me, in my very limited sphere of exsistance, the reason to deny it truly exists at all, just because I haven't seen it. When he passes, he will find out if God and Heaven truly exists or not. I'm a follower of Christ Jesus, but I would never force my belief on anyone. So, when those who choose not to believe for what ever reason (atheist), push there message of unbelief on me, are they not evangelizing their choice of unbelief and in many cases pushing their opinions on us? Yet when theist do this to them, they cry foul. A interesting group of people to say the least.

May God bless.

Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

To better clear it up the problem with religion I don't believe I need to belong to a denomination or pray a certain way to be heard. To me God is more powerful than man can perceive.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So, when those who choose not to believe for what ever reason (atheist), push there message of unbelief on me, are they not evangelizing their choice of unbelief and in many cases pushing their opinions on us? Yet when theist do this to them, they cry foul. A interesting group of people to say the least.
Let's not essentialize either group here. Both sides of the divide (believers and non-believers) consist of those who proselytize and those who are apathetic with regards to converting others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
These are my observations on the matter. I find religion as a concept fascinating and it does much good in the world. However it is responsible for many evils too. What I have found so fascinating about religion is how passionate people are about it and sometimes this spills over to the point they act irrationally (I personally know of someone who has split with his wife due to his devotion to religion). The reason is simple. Religion cannot be proved nor disproved so the argument can never be settled. People can be so passionate about it that anything spoken out against it will hurt them and their beliefs. That will lead to anger and some bad decisions. I think religion can be summed up by something I once read. Religion can make intelligent people act stupid.

My personal opinion on religion is that it was a very effective method of social control before law, courts and police forces became established. In many ways religion mirrors what the legal system is in place today. There are a set of established rules that one must follow. Your peers are your jury and "God" is your judge. The legal system became a more effective source of social control as it does not require you to believe in it to observe the rules. You observe them or face consequences which are deemed fair by the majority.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
What I always find interesting about discussions on religious belief is that people seem to leave good old fashioned logic at the door on their way in (and as a philosopher - this upsets me).

For example:

Those who argue FOR God often use the whole 'miracles' thing as 'proof' of God's existence. Logically - this is insane! What they are saying is:
Something has happend that no one can explain
I have an explanation
Therefore, my explanation is true
Therefore the premise of my explanation is extant

And those who argue AGAINST God are just as bad when they go on about their belief that religion was invented by humans to fulfill a void/need...they are essentially saying:
- People who believe X sometimes act irrationally
- People who believe X have a vested interest in believing X
- Therefore X is untrue

When logic tells us that whether or not X is true or untrue has nothing to do with the behavior or belief of those who believe X....it's like saying that a man told you that Leeds is above London but because you don't like the man you don't believe it - just get a map for goodness sake!

Anyway - rant over! It just annoys me when both sides use what appear to be clever arguments that when broken down make no sense.

The end (of my sillyness!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those who argue FOR God often use the whole 'miracles' thing as 'proof' of God's existence. Logically - this is insane! What they are saying is:
Something has happend that no one can explain
I have an explanation
Therefore, my explanation is true
Therefore the premise of my explanation is extant

First time I've ever seen the argument that God is insane! (need the reference?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 2010 13 inch
The only thing in life you can bet the bank on is your going to die someday. Then and only then will you know the truth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The only thing in life you can bet the bank on is your going to die someday. Then and only then will you know the truth

...and taxes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.