• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, Has Passed Away

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
When a friend told me about it this morning i was shocked. MY wife and I have been watching him since 99 and loved him. I thought he was a bit crazy but after you watch him for a bit you know he loves what he does and has a passion for animals and wildlife. It's a shame that he was killed in such a freak way. Like others here i feel for his children and wife.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I swam with the stingrays in the Cayman Isles. Absolutely amazing creatures, but I will say, they certainly made me slightly nervous!

The ones I swam with were wild stingrays, but supposedly used to people. Tourism boats come to the same places, people swim with em and feed them. Very interesting feeding them too...they suck in through a sort of vacuum like force, which almost pulled my whole hand in. The most striking thing about the ones I swam with, were their size. These things can be several feet wide!

Reaction score
Last night on the Andrew Denton talk show, "Enough Rope", they replayed a Steve Irwin interview that was taped some time ago. It would be one the best interviews I've seen and there he was on my tv, as large as life and as Andrew Denton said about 1 min into the interview, " We're already at the red level for energy and we haven't got to the first question....".

I sat transfixed for the next 40 mins or so as I laughed and was generally swept away with the pure energy that was Steve Irwin.

I didn't realise that he was very popular in the US while being a virtual unknown here...

Goodbye Steve, you'll be dearly missed but never forgotten....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
rs2sensen said:
I swam with the stingrays in the Cayman Isles. Absolutely amazing creatures, but I will say, they certainly made me slightly nervous!

The ones I swam with were wild stingrays, but supposedly used to people. Tourism boats come to the same places, people swim with em and feed them. Very interesting feeding them too...they suck in through a sort of vacuum like force, which almost pulled my whole hand in. The most striking thing about the ones I swam with, were their size. These things can be several feet wide!

I did the same thing at Grand Cayman a few years back, I had so much fun!

Most wild animals get a bad rap because people generally aren't educated about them, and hopefully this tragedy won't do that for stingrays. Steve wouldn't want that.

Reaction score
What a tragedy! I loved his show, Croc hunter, because of his zeal, and his passion toward those animals were truly unmatched. It really is a shame such a guy passed away, but the good thing is that he didn't suffer at all according to the article.

Reaction score
Here in Australia we are amazed at how popular he was overseas, especially in the US. Whilst he may not have been everyone's cup of tea it's sad when a little boy and girl lose their father tragically. Oh and I think there has only been 50 or so reported cases of death by Stingray in the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
very sad. the man died doing what he loved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.