startup trouble

M

mystique

when my mac (iBook G4, OS X 10.3.3) starts up, it skips items that have to be loaded. so it displays the login screen very quickly. as a result internet connection is down. sometimes the problem is fixed just by restarting, but after another restart the same thing occurs. i've tried repairing the permissions and i let onyx do all those things it does. it worked 1 time, but the problem came back one restart later. the last thing i did was resetting the PRAM and the computer started normally. now i'm afraid to turn of my mac.

can someone tell me what's going on? and preferably give a permenant solution...

(be nice, i'm new to this) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Maybe a manual maintentence will help. Repair permissions again manually.
Log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, varify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of dailly) and monthly. again with all apps closed.
;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.