Startup issues post disk repair

Reaction score
Hey All -

I am unsure of the specifics of my computer, but it is a MacBook Pro. Bought it in 2012. Got the most recent update of Yosemite when it came out (February). I´ve been running Yosemite with no problems since then.

Recently I got gray screened after a normal shutdown/startup process. By this I mean I could type in my login information, but then got a loading gray screen. The black bar would get about halfway before my computer would shut down on its own.

I could not boot in Safe Mode, so I tried booting in Internet Recovery.

I tried repairing the disk using Disk Utility. The first time, I got the message that Disk Utility was unable to repair the disk. I decided to give it another shot, so I rebooted in Internet Recovery. The second time, I was able to repair the disk. I selected the repaired Hard Drive as my startup disk and tried to restart.

This time, I got the gray screen with an Apple logo. The loading bar (black) got about 1/3 of the way before the computer shut itself down.

That´s where I´m at now. By all accounts, the HD/disk appears to be okay. I get that message consistently on Disk Utility in Internet Recovery. But the computer still does not boot. I cannot boot in Safe mode, and I can´t access single user mode. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you have any idea how full the internal storage is (gigs used & gigs free)?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That´s where I´m at now. By all accounts, the HD/disk appears to be okay. I get that message consistently on Disk Utility in Internet Recovery. But the computer still does not boot. I cannot boot in Safe mode, and I can´t access single user mode. What should I do?

Do you have a boot disk that you can use? I'm not sure if your 2012 MacBook Pro came pre-installed with Snow Leopard or Lion. You should try booting from an external source if possible. That can be a DVD or a USB flash drive. The fact that Disk Utility says your hard drive is OK does not mean it is OK. Disk Utility does not check everything. If you do have an external source to boot from and it still doesn't boot, try removing the hard drive and see if it will boot. Also check the SATA cable from the hard drive connector to logic board as they are know to fail from the heat build up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.