Startup Disk Keeps Filling up

Reaction score
Hi,

My startup disk keeps getting full even though i am not downloading or installing anything. I had 2GB Free and a day later it became full, then i freed up another GB only for it to become full, and then another 600mb with the same result. Now i have 0kb free once again :( I have tried running onyx and i defrag.... Any Suggestions Would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Tell us your hard drive size. You need about 20% unused for the system to operate correctly. Sounds like you need a larger HDD urgently, particularly if you are into iTunes, music and/or photography.

OP
N
Reaction score
Tell us your hard drive size. You need about 20% unused for the system to operate correctly. Sounds like you need a larger HDD urgently, particularly if you are into iTunes, music and/or photography.

I have a 120GB on my MBP. I have been saving for a new hdd but for now i need some temporary relief. i have managed to free up 1.42 GB right now. Who knows how long that will last...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not enough will last a day or so? With 120GB maximum use should be about 105GB allowing for formatting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I've been having a similar issue with my HDD filling up even though I'm not downloading/installing anything. It's getting quite annoying. One thing I did was delete printer drivers I didn't need....boy did that free up space!!

OP
N
Reaction score
I've been having a similar issue with my HDD filling up even though I'm not downloading/installing anything. It's getting quite annoying. One thing I did was delete printer drivers I didn't need....boy did that free up space!!

I did the same thing with the epson inkjet drivers. Over 1 GB for printer drivers is ridiculous. Have you found any other solutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I did the same thing with the epson inkjet drivers. Over 1 GB for printer drivers is ridiculous. Have you found any other solutions?

not yet, that was what I did :lol:

mine still slowly goes down until I restart...I don't get it.

OP
N
Reaction score
not yet, that was what I did :lol:

mine still slowly goes down until I restart...I don't get it.

omnidisksweeper might help. You can locate the files that take up the most room with the trial version. You have to pay 30 bucks i think to delete them via the program. I found the printer drivers using the trial version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Macbook pros-1 from 1st issue|2nd glossy 1 yr later + 17" G4 la G5 desktop
Thanks. Been having similar problems. Using 3 epson inkjet pro printers and have unloaded many new drivers over time for better printing BUT NEVER thought to delete the old drivers. Thanks, again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.