Starting Target Disk Mode Without a Keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac-Mini (late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core 5, 16GB RAM 1600MH DDR3, 1TB (SATA)
It is always stated that Target Disk Mode is started by holding down the 'T' key while booting.
But, what if the Mac doesn't have a keyboard (or mouse, or display) attached?

I want to use my old MacMini 2,1 which is maxed out at Lion, as a source for Migration Assistant to load up a brand new Mac mini running High Sierra, but I only have one Keyboard, etc.
After loading the new Mac, I want to occasionally use the old one as an external drive, so I'll have this issue every time I re-mount it.
I'll also have the problem if I accidentally shut down and power up my equipment with the old MacMini attached.

Plugging and un-plugging my keyboard from one Mac to the other seems crude and could damage the USP hard/software.
(I always been told to power-down before reconnecting cables.)

The only alternative I've thought of is to avoid TDM altogether and disk-share the old MacMini onto my LAN and 'drive' it from the new Mac via screen sharing.
But, will Migration Assistant work over a LAN?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Buy an inexpensive USB keyboard.

Also, if you plan on leaving the Mac mini on and connected, then you only nerd to do it the once, or after power failures. Once it's in TDM, it will stay in that state until it loses power or is restarted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.