Spyware killer for mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
Is there anyone that know a software (freeware) that will find and delete spywares on a mac?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
So far as I know, there is no spy ware for Mac. Do you use IE? If so - why? Safari rocks and so does Mozilla. ;)

A

Andreades

Reply to bellastrada

bellastrada said:
Is there anyone that know a software (freeware) that will find and delete spywares on a mac?
Thanks

bellastrada,

What are the symptoms you're experiencing? I have a PowerMAC G-5 running OS-X with Safari as default... and have been troubled with spyware. I've been writing articles about this that seem to have sort of... disappeared.

MAC OS-X is NOT- repeat NOT impervious to spyware. OS-X 's Safari uses the same methodology in cookie-handling and DNS resolution that Windows components employ... only difference is that it all threads to the Unix kernel. But Safari CAN be infected by tracking cookies. The latter don't seem to be targeting Safari, however, but are sequestered into a folder in Users\Your Name\Library\ etc. There, thet serve as vector for more serious components, such as key-loggers, etc.

Take my word for this, b., there are mob types working in the multi-billion dollar ad industry who recognize the fact of a growing user pool of Apple/Unix products, and who have been working their poor little fingers to the bone finding ways to write implantable spyware compatible with Unix systems. It all boils down to the quest for market share and the old axiom "where there's a will there's a way."

people like witeshark (sorry, ws, no offense) are seeing the world with rose-colored glasses in re the spyware issue. But take off the blinders and you may find that your MAC is infected. MACs run well with a load of spyware on board. One dead give-away to its presence, however, is slow loading and lots of static coming from the hard drive. Also, if you find yourself running Disk Utility frequently to make corrections to plists... bingo.

Drop another attachment to this thread, b.; I'd like to know how you see the problem you're experiencing and maybe try to help you figure out what to do about it.

At this posting (and it isn't likely to change any time soon) there's only one spyware remover ON EARTH for the Macintosh system- a third-rate software that is being touted as a spyware remover by Aladdin Systems. The remover is included along with a suite of other redundant features that are already available in OS-X.

Recognizing the growing need of a way for MAC people to deal with Spyware, Aladdin Systems has placed our feet in the coals by incorporating its remover tool in with a bunch of unneeded, superfluous junk, for which it charges $29.

Recently I bought the suite just for the remover, but it's never found anything, even when there was no question but that my MAC was infected. I've been very disappointed.

Not to be a spoil-sport... but if your MAC is infected with a Trojan there's only one way to go at the present juncture: Sudden death. Formatting (zeroing-out is best) and reinstalling everything from jump is better than living with spies. If you need help, I am here.

A

F

Fomer

Andreades, since you assumed the position of free-speech. Allow me to please do so as well.

I believe you're being a bit spaz'tastic, telling someone they must reformatt is obscene in my opinion.

True mac needs to take some serious steps in protection... excuse me let me rephrase that... 3rd parties should take steps in coming up with adware removers etc. Apple does a lot, they update the OS all the time constantly send Security Updates.... unlike its counter-part these updates are important. Apple is on the top of things, hopefully always will be. However I do agree with you the mac world is growing and we need to take important steps to protecting our macs. As far as Credit Card, etc safty.... and just the hassle of reformatting. (main reason I left winblows)

I clicked an AIM link the awhile back that is suppose to be spyware if you click it.... I obviously didn't mean to. But Safari didn't even open so instead of worrying about it I went on with my day.

Then my mac pretty much got slow as all get out! I started getting nervous, about to jump out and buy some over pirced Virus protector about to do this and that or reformatt. I took a deep breath (as you should) and just assessed the problem. I only have 256 ram. So I deleted Adobe (which I downloaded to see if I was potentially interested in buying) Realized I wasn't deleted it. Looked in my Itunes I had close to a 1000 songs deleted about 200 and then ran Onyx repaired premissions, deleted cookies, virtual memory... everything. Restarted. Turned it back on and it started up kind of funny at the log in screen usually went faster and the bar goes always across (before typing in password) this time it went slower and stoped halfway and took em to login.

I am not going to worry myself into a slomber over it. But it does concern me.

Reaction score
Last week I bought a shareware program called Little Snitch. I had been looking for something like it ever since I downloaded the free ZoneAlarm when I was running Windblown 98 on Virtual PC (long gone, thank Zeus). ZoneAlarm opened my eyes to spyware, and not all of it is buried in invisible applications — by a long shot.

Little Snitch isn't free, but it's inexpensive. It blows the whistle on all connections an app — any app — makes to the net. The first one was by my file-compression program! As soon as I started it to decompress a file, the program tried to phone home. I'd love to know what it was trying to tell Mommy: That it was in use? The name of the file? Whether my compression app is registered or pirated? Probably all three. Whatever it tried to do, I stopped it forever with a couple of mouse clicks.

Why should a file-compression company know what files I work with? What if it's my tax return? Could this program read my entire disk? Who knows? I'm not a programmer and can't read code. In any event, it's an invasion of privacy.

Little Snitch is an eye-opener to the many links URLs are connected to other than the obvious sites you click on — including those of banks — and their name is legion. And most, if not all, plant cookies if the browser is set to accept them.

Real and Media Player — surprise, surprise — phone home. Programs that have nothing to do with the net phone home. What info do they divulge? Talk about spyware. . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
or you could run lil snitch indefinately in demo mode resetting it ever 3 hours.

Really.. there is no spy ware for mac other than the programs that phone home to see if your serial # is real.

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
Thanks for the advices Andreades!

I did formatte my Mac and reload everythings but a few days later my Mac went slow again and still to receiving a lot of spam.
B.

Andreades said:
bellastrada,

What are the symptoms you're experiencing? I have a PowerMAC G-5 running OS-X with Safari as default... and have been troubled with spyware. I've been writing articles about this that seem to have sort of... disappeared.

MAC OS-X is NOT- repeat NOT impervious to spyware. OS-X 's Safari uses the same methodology in cookie-handling and DNS resolution that Windows components employ... only difference is that it all threads to the Unix kernel. But Safari CAN be infected by tracking cookies. The latter don't seem to be targeting Safari, however, but are sequestered into a folder in Users\Your Name\Library\ etc. There, thet serve as vector for more serious components, such as key-loggers, etc.

Take my word for this, b., there are mob types working in the multi-billion dollar ad industry who recognize the fact of a growing user pool of Apple/Unix products, and who have been working their poor little fingers to the bone finding ways to write implantable spyware compatible with Unix systems. It all boils down to the quest for market share and the old axiom "where there's a will there's a way."

people like witeshark (sorry, ws, no offense) are seeing the world with rose-colored glasses in re the spyware issue. But take off the blinders and you may find that your MAC is infected. MACs run well with a load of spyware on board. One dead give-away to its presence, however, is slow loading and lots of static coming from the hard drive. Also, if you find yourself running Disk Utility frequently to make corrections to plists... bingo.

Drop another attachment to this thread, b.; I'd like to know how you see the problem you're experiencing and maybe try to help you figure out what to do about it.

At this posting (and it isn't likely to change any time soon) there's only one spyware remover ON EARTH for the Macintosh system- a third-rate software that is being touted as a spyware remover by Aladdin Systems. The remover is included along with a suite of other redundant features that are already available in OS-X.

Recognizing the growing need of a way for MAC people to deal with Spyware, Aladdin Systems has placed our feet in the coals by incorporating its remover tool in with a bunch of unneeded, superfluous junk, for which it charges $29.

Recently I bought the suite just for the remover, but it's never found anything, even when there was no question but that my MAC was infected. I've been very disappointed.

Not to be a spoil-sport... but if your MAC is infected with a Trojan there's only one way to go at the present juncture: Sudden death. Formatting (zeroing-out is best) and reinstalling everything from jump is better than living with spies. If you need help, I am here.

A
:( :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Graphite said:
or you could run lil snitch indefinately in demo mode resetting it ever 3 hours.

Really.. there is no spy ware for mac other than the programs that phone home to see if your serial # is real.
Seriously! This is true! Why on Earth would anyone bother to spyware 5% market share? They are still doing the doz thing! Something else must be going on with these so-called infections :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Little Snitch is a really good app!!

Reaction score
There are a lot of apps that phone home just to see if there is a newer version. Stuffit comes to mind. Just check the prefs and shut it off. LittleSnitch rocks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Strider said:
Little Snitch is a really good app!!
What sort of specific performance examples can you site?

T

TylerMoney

How do I know if I'm getting spyware or not? I haven't experienced any strange problems that I know of....safari used to crash every once in a while...but it has been a long long long time....no strange problems since....I think I just fixed permissions...or deleted the preference folder, and everything was alright.....

But then again.....I don't know much about spyware...just know that macs don't have nearly the problem pc's do...I use adaware every week on my pc....and don't use anything for my mac..

btw...what exaclty does spyware do?.....I know it has something to do with keeping track of what you do on the internet..like what sites you visit and what not..right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
witeshark said:
What sort of specific performance examples can you site?

It detects all outgoing activity from my laptop, which is great. Its like ZoneAlarm for Windows. It was a great app, pity it is not done for OS X, but Little Snitch is pretty good.

Also, system asks for my password to turn Lil'Snitch on and off, which is pretty cool :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Strider said:
It detects all outgoing activity from my laptop, which is great. Its like ZoneAlarm for Windows. Also, system asks for my password to turn Lil'Snitch on and off, which is pretty cool :cool:
Sounds very nice. I was very impressed with Zonealarm on my doz box! All of my IRC troubles ended with a solid thunk when I started using it :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.