Spotlight and search problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
The past days, I think since my last MacOS upgrade, Spotlight search does not function as it did in the past.
The same problem that search box in Finder windows, but I guess that search and Spotlight are the same.

When I search for, e.g., files named 'operation' and search 'filenames' or 'content', a few completely irrelevant files are shown, but none with the name 'operation' or with 'operation' in their content.

As said, this has never happened to me before and makes the two search options completely useless.

I did all the restarts and other tricks. To no avail.
My software and MacOS are up to date.
My battery is full.
Everything else works fine.
I didn't change anything in system settings (see attachment).

Is it only me? Or....?

Robert

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 13.57.06.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 13.57.06.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
Thanks Ashwin.
I had already checked that PRIVACY box, but there are no locations that Spotlight is prevented from searching. I actually never had used/done this anyway.
Spotlight simply doesn't work fully. I write fully, because from time to time one or a few more files show up, but not all applicable files like in the past.
Really strange behavior.
Robert

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Its possible the index is not quite right, so rebuilding it should hopefully make it a lot more useful.

You might also want to look into Find Any File if you don't already use it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
Thanks Ashwin. I downloaded Find Any File.
Great app, extremely detailed, sometimes a bit too detailed with thousands of messages/files/etc.
Robert

Reaction score
Good thread. Thank you all, guys, for the info. I had a similar issue and Ashwin's suggestion to rebuild the Spotlight index actually helped. Now I know that sometimes, an index can become corrupted or incomplete, leading to search issues.
Also, I just wanna add that you could try using Alfred app for macOS as an alternative to Spotlight. Just stumbled upon it recently and I think it's quite powerful and customizable. This tool can give you more control over search parameters. I think it's worth a try if you're still looking for something like that.
Alright, cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.