Spotlight & 10..5.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBoook G4 OS 10.5.8
I just realized that my Spotlight only functions in searching any and all USB Flash drives, but will not/does not search my HD at all. Checked Privacy Prefs and the HD is NOT included on the Do Not Search list. As suggested here, I tried adding and removing the HD to no effect. So, something other than those Prefs is blocking Spotlight from searching the HD. Where could that be? I ran Maintenance and Disk Utility and all Permissions checke dout OK. What else can you suggest.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBoook G4 OS 10.5.8
Just discovered something re this mystery: Looking in Console, I see that whenever I call Spolight with no USB Flash inserted, this message appears in SysLog:

"No Stores registered for metascope"
kMDQueryScopeGupter"

"No store reg'd for /users/master"

"Master" is my user name (only one user).

I have no idea what "store" means. Does it have to do with the Spotlight Index? Spotlight does index the USB flash when I insert it, but apparently never indexes the HD.

Since my attempts to force indexing by the two methods posted here, I must assume that whatever is preventing that action must lie in a deeper layer of the OS and will require a driect input from the command line in Terminal. My knowledge of Unix commands is shakey at best, but I'm game to try any suggestions offered here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Wish I could help. I'm surprised that someone with more knowledge about this has not responded.

C

chas_m

If you could provide a snapshot of the Spotlight preferences windows (particularly the section "privacy"), that should tell the tale.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.