spell check???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
on iPhone and iPad, I often use dictation to create text message or emails. many times the words come out incorrect, I fully understand that due to the dictation feature and the placement of microphone etc. but when I actually type it out, even tho im very careful, im not a fast typist on iPhone 12 s keyboard but still small words still come out wrong.
if I type slow with precise selection, I can make things work. is this normal?

while using my MacBook, typed words sometimes come out wrong too. but on MacBook I can let my fingers fly and only have few problem words. tho many times my password doesn't work unless I type very slowly and precisely.

this was brought to head this am... as friend who has MacBook Air (my old one) has the same issues with typing errors!

so is this a spell check feature that one can put words into the dictionary.
if so, I sure would like to put in some commonly used place names.
and if not, what if one turns OFF spell check??

we all know and and have experienced a message either sent or received with very odd spellings or inappropriate words within. constant reviewing of messages is needed especially when dealing with businesses... friends usually understand and laugh!!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The speech to text on my iOS/watchOS devices have been pretty spot on for the bulk of the words that I use when you speak with precision. You cannot dictate in a conversation manner, you have to speak with a deliberate pace with pauses to ensure that the words don't get jumbled together.

The keyboard on iOS devices is good, but it's still very easy to fat finger random characters.

iOS introduced the swipe style typing where you just smoothly run over the letters that you want to type out and iOS figures out what the word is and enters it. Try that out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is Dictation the same as speech to text?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.