speed up my mac

OP
C
Reaction score
I can see some overall quicker response time, but I think I am urinating against the wind with my small amount of memory. Time to make an upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Time to make an upgrade.

It's generally agreed that 2GB RAM is inadequate for most users use, especially with recent OS X versions, but a watch on your Activity Monitor for any swaps or pageouts would confirm that for your use.

- Patrick
==========

OP
C
Reaction score
It's generally agreed that 2GB RAM is inadequate for most users use, especially with recent OS X versions, but a watch on your Activity Monitor for any swaps or pageouts would confirm that for your use.

- Patrick
==========
I just bumped my imac up to 8 GB just now, seem to be better already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I just bumped my imac up to 8 GB just now, seem to be better already.

Great - hope that the increased RAM will indeed help! :) Just a few other suggestions: 1) Disk Utility - might want to run the First Aid option which will check your aging HD (see attachment - just ran the check on my MBAir's SSD); and 2) Download OnyX from HERE - obtain the version that matches your macOS and run in automation mode - may clean up your HD and hopefully reduced the amount of 'stuff' you have in that 'OTHER' category on your posted drive images. Dave
Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 5.25.31 PM.png

OP
C
Reaction score
Great - hope that the increased RAM will indeed help! :) Just a few other suggestions: 1) Disk Utility - might want to run the First Aid option which will check your aging HD (see attachment - just ran the check on my MBAir's SSD); and 2) Download OnyX from HERE - obtain the version that matches your macOS and run in automation mode - may clean up your HD and hopefully reduced the amount of 'stuff' you have in that 'OTHER' category on your posted drive images. Dave
View attachment 25889

I ran the utilities as show above. Here is what it looks like now.
Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 7.00.39 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ran the utilities as show above. Here is what it looks like now.

Hi again - your image is that of the Activity Monitor (which looks good) - not what I am asking - need to find Disk Utility (see image below which is in my Sierra 'Other' folder in Launchpad) - look at the arrowed icon attached - this is the app that you need to run - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 8.17.12 PM.png

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi again - your image is that of the Activity Monitor (which looks good) - not what I am asking - need to find Disk Utility (see image below which is in my Sierra 'Other' folder in Launchpad) - look at the arrowed icon attached - this is the app that you need to run - Dave :)
View attachment 25897
NO, I ran both of your suggestions , I just did not post it. I misunderstood what you wanted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NO, I ran both of your suggestions , I just did not post it. I misunderstood what you wanted.

No problem, the reason to run Disk Utility was to make sure that your HD was still functioning normally - what were your results? If OK, then DL OnyX and run in automated mode - Dave :) P.S. never suggested that you look @ Activity Monitor?

OP
C
Reaction score
No problem, the reason to run Disk Utility was to make sure that your HD was still functioning normally - what were your results? If OK, then DL OnyX and run in automated mode - Dave :) P.S. never suggested that you look @ Activity Monitor?

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 2.44.08 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.